Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th December 2007, 10:49

Errol Martyn is on a distinguished road
New Zealand PoWs killed in a/c accident at Crete

The following two New Zealand soldiers are officially recorded, respectively,
as having ‘died on Active Service while POW. Aircraft Accident. Crete at sea’
and
‘believed to have been killed in a German plane which was shot down while evacuating severely wounded prisoners to Greece’.

30058 Pte Hadyn Rowland OPPATT, NZ Infantry (22Bn) – Age 30.
6065 Lt William George SLADE, NZ Infantry (22Bn) – Age 33.

Oppatt is commemorated on the Athens Memorial, while Slade is buried at the Suda Bay War Cemetery. Date of death for each is recorded as 23 May 1941.

A long shot, I know, but wonder if any German records survive which might confirm the date and aircraft (Ju 52/3ms?) involved.

With thanks in advance for any assistance forthcoming.

Errol
Old 15th December 2007, 14:55
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Re: New Zealand PoWs killed in a/c accident at Crete

Hi Errol

I've checked my records - admittedly compiled many moons ago when I was reseraching for AIR WAR YUGOSLAVIA GREECE AND CRETE - and can't pinpoint such a loss, although it would appear that two Ju52/3ms were lost due to 'enemy action' in the air on that date. Certainly, POWs and German wounded were being evacuated by Ju52/3ms to Greece at that time, so your suggestion that the two New Zealanders were lost in these circumstances are quite feasible.

Cheers
Brian
Old 15th December 2007, 21:34

Errol Martyn is on a distinguished road
Re: New Zealand PoWs killed in a/c accident at Crete

Thanks Brian,

Yes, I had checked the Ju 52 loss table on p404 of the book. Plenty of possibilities there to choose from! Especially if the date is suspect, which given the chaotic nature of the battle it may well be.

Errol