Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation before the Second World War.

Old 9th December 2015, 00:20

sidney is on a distinguished road
Hptm. Siebelt Reents and Staffel conversion to Bf 109 E-1/E-3

I understand that Hptm. Siebelt Reents took command of 1./J 88 sometime in mid-September 1938.

Could someone please advise an approximate date when the Staffel began converting to the Bf 109 E-1/E-3 aircraft and when the conversion was actually completed?

Any assistance in the matter will be highly valued.

Regards,
Sinisa
Old 10th December 2015, 16:23

GuerraCivil is on a distinguished road
Re: Hptm. Siebelt Reents and Staffel conversion to Bf 109 E-1/E-3

By the time when S. Reents took over 1/J.88 in Sept. 1938 I think that 1.J/88 was still equipped with B/D models of Bf 109. I think that the conversion started very late in 1938 and probably it was not completed when the war in Spain ended...

It is actually an interesting question when the first "Emils" arrived to Spain. Robert Forsyth has in his book "Aces of Legion Condor" a photo of Bf 109 E-1 "6-91" at the airfield of La Senia and it is dated to "early autumn 1938". However I´m a bit sceptical on that. Based on some other literary sources I think that the first Emils arrived clearly later than in "early autumn 1938" and the conversion from Jumo-models to Emil started in J/88 later than on Sept./Oct. 1938.

According to what I have read about the start of the manufacturing of "Emils" is that the first Bf 109 E-1´s (Wnr. 1778-1804) came out of the production lines of Messerschmitt AG as late as in October/November 1938. So the conversion to Emil in 1./J 88 must have happened at some later date.
Old 10th December 2015, 23:47

sidney is on a distinguished road
Re: Hptm. Siebelt Reents and Staffel conversion to Bf 109 E-1/E-3

Thank you for your help in the matter, it is highly valued.

Robert Forsyth in his book "Aces of Legion Condor" also wrote that the "Holzauge" emblem of 1./J 88 was unveiled at the time of the Bf 109 E-1/E-3 introduction in service, while in view of the recently discovered photographic evidence showing the emblem being sported on the Bf 109 B coded "6-44", it is quite possible that it had happened before that, probably not long after Hptm. Reents took command of the Staffel, in early-to-mid September 1939.