Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 29th April 2005, 23:36

Christer Bergström is on a distinguished road
Arrow Forthcoming book on JG 5 ace Walter Schuck

I thought some of you guys might be interested in the new updates on my website dedicated to the forthcoming book on JG 5 ace Walter Schuck:

http://www.bergstrombooks.elknet.pl/messerschmitt-ace/index.htm

Christer Bergström

http://www.bergstrombooks.elknet.pl/

Last edited by Christer Bergström; 30th April 2005 at 00:04.
Old 2nd June 2005, 08:31

Boandlgramer is on a distinguished road
Re: Forthcoming book on JG 5 ace Walter Schuck

is there now a more accurate release date about the book ? (walterschuck story).
hope also black cross & red star volume 3 is out soon.
can´t wait to read both.
volume 1 and 2 are my " Schätze in meiner Buchsammlung".
sehr gut gemacht , christer.
Old 2nd June 2005, 15:15
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveahk
So, Christer (and of course everybody putting out texts about those times), you are writing books about things that happened sixty and more years ago, you are interviewing and talking to participants in WWII who are eighty and ninety years old. Their memories can of course be substantiated by diaries and log books, but still, I'm always amazed of the clarity and portrayed exactness of the facts represented in those "memory" books.

I mean, this is not just the "memory" of, say, being with your unit in Minsk in the summer of 1943, flying missions every day. No, this is about "remembering" the exact flights each and every day, where and when and why. And I think it's astonishing how very, very seldom I find any question marks, any doubt about those very exact data presented in these books...! I know, the 100% truth doesn't exist. but still...

Of course I'm full of admiration for all of you giving us those "memories" served so well and convincingly ... but still I wonder...
As one of the "everybody else putting out texts about those times", here's how it's done. Veterans of 80+ often have very vivid memories of particular events. They are usually less clear on exact dates and chronologies, unless they have a log book. You also have to be careful of memories like "we lost a lot of people in accidents" as the death of one friend can "multiply" in retrospect into a series. Still, personal accounts bring history to life.

Cross-referencing personal recollection with contemporary sources from both sides, it's gratifying how often you can pin down a particular memory. With careful wording you can avoid transforming theories into facts. For example, "It was probably this occasion that Fritz Schmidt was recalling when he said..."

A statement like "Fritz Schmidt flew three sorties over Kursk that day" can probably be backed up. IMHO the phrases that should really ring alarm bells are "Fritz Schmidt must have thought...", "would have felt..." etc. That's a sign of the author's imagination replacing historical inquiry.
Old 27th June 2005, 13:54

Boandlgramer is on a distinguished road

BUMP.
Any News about the Releasedate ? Christer ?
Old 11th July 2005, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boandlgramer
BUMP.
Any News about the Releasedate ? Christer ?
Not exactly, but I hope to have it published next year.

Anyway, I'm pretty occupied working on the manuscript. Claes Sundin, Horst Kube and I will spend four days together with Walter Schuck later this month, going through the manuscript.

Regarding Black Cross/Red Star, Vol. 3, please don't ask me. I'm waiting for it too, and I don't know more than what there is on Eagle Edition's website. It will be out in 2005, I've got a firm promise on that.

Christer Bergström

Old 18th July 2005, 15:42

Andrey Dikov

Christer, I sent an e-mail to you three weeks ago, but got no reply. As far as that mail contained a rather important question, I decided to ask you for it on this board.

In June I’ve visited your site seeking for BC3 release date information and I’ve found out that the names of your Russian BC3 co-authors (me and Vlad Antipov) are not mentioned anywhere. I went to the Eagle Editions web site and again – they tell about BC3 “by Christer Bergstrom”. And I wonder why?

It seems that BC3 will be released soon, so it would be great to hear your opinion about all those announcements before it.

Best wishes,

Your friend Andrey
Old 24th July 2005, 23:26

On the BC/RS website, you can find this:
"Volume 3 of Black Cross/Red Star has been written by Christer Bergström, with important contributions by Andrey Mikhailov, Andrey Dikov, Vlad Antipov, and Claes Sundin."

http://www.bergstrombooks.elknet.pl/bc-rs/vol3.htm

Andrey, I have sent you an e-mail reply.

Christer Bergström

Old 25th July 2005, 20:38

Andrey Dikov

>On the BC/RS website, you can find this:

>"Volume 3 of Black Cross/Red Star has been written by Christer >Bergström, with important contributions by Andrey Mikhailov, Andrey Dikov, >Vlad Antipov, and Claes Sundin."

Thank you for adding this words on your site, Christer!

I hope that Eagles will remember us as well.

However it would be great that this sentence would talk about us as co-authors, as we really were. Not just contributors, important or not.

>Andrey, I have sent you an e-mail reply.

Yes, thank you, I'll reply asap!

Andrey
Old 26th July 2005, 20:09

Vlad Antipov is on a distinguished road

Hello, Christer!

I’m glad to hear the news from you!
I was also confused that our team is not mentioned as a team of full rights authors, but as a raw contributors of BC3. I hope the Publisher will correct the situation and make up this gap.

I really think the volume will be great as far we work on it together for many years. The more so, the materials from a Russian point of view, including difficult of access Russian archive documents makes it really unique and balanced. This will be very interesting for readers as far as the attention to the Ost front air war grows. We were the BlackCross vs. Red Star team and are full rights members of the world historical community doesn’t matter we work in different projects now. The publisher shouldn’t forget it!

With a respect,

Vlad
Old 26th July 2005, 21:03
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

I think you may directly ask Judy or Jerry Crandall for comments.