Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 27th February 2021, 18:03
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough
Check in [I]En krigsflyvers dagbok[/I] by Giørtz, Fridtjov S. on ops 3-4.11.1943

Dear all,

I'm wondering if anyone has read the Norwegian language book En krigsflyvers dagbok written by Giørtz, Fridtjov S. 2Lt. Giørtz RNAF was the pilot of 76 Squadron Halifax LK949, which was severely shot up in a Nachtjäger attack and by Flak during the 3-4 November 1943 Düsseldorf Raid, the Halifax being written off on return to base. Lt. Giørtz was screened from ops after this mission. What I'm looking for are any details mentioned in this book about the location and time of the night fighter attack. (No Combat Report found alas ..).

Cheers and thanks, Theo
Old 7th March 2021, 21:56

onavik is on a distinguished road
Re: Check in [I]En krigsflyvers dagbok[/I] by Giørtz, Fridtjov S. on ops 3-4.11.1943

On page 143 Giørtz writes that the time approached "Zero Hour" plus 16 and it was their turn to bomb. He had managed to climb to 19000ft and they were supposed to bomb from 18000ft on a South-Eastely course. He entered a shallow dive and approached the target. After bombs gone, pictures of the target and off the target area he turned left and entered a Northerly course. The navigator (Bert) gave corrections to the course and they flew homewards. When Giørtz was "on level with" Krefeld he saw a Halifax hit by Flak and trapped in the beams of six searchlights. Almost immediately after, Giørtz's Halifax was hit and trapped by searchlights. He took a series of violent evasive actions and eventually got out of the situation. As you probably know he made it back to England minus two crewmembers who bailed out.

Hope this helps,
Øystein
Old 7th March 2021, 22:04

Re: Check in [I]En krigsflyvers dagbok[/I] by Giørtz, Fridtjov S. on ops 3-4.11.1943

Giørtz identifies LK949 as V for Victor - but you probably knew that already ;-)

Øystein
Old 9th March 2021, 09:20
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough

Dear Øystein,

Many thanks for your most helpful reply! I have one final question re. this incident -what was the time over target for 76 Squadron on 3-4 November 1943?

Cheers, Theo
Old 9th March 2021, 10:13

retje is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Boiten View Post
Dear Øystein,

Many thanks for your most helpful reply! I have one final question re. this incident -what was the time over target for 76 Squadron on 3-4 November 1943?

Cheers, Theo
ORB of 76 Squadron: Halifax "V" LK949 attacked primary target at 19.53

René

Last edited by retje; 9th March 2021 at 10:25. Reason: typo
Old 9th March 2021, 13:26
Alter Hase

Thanks for that René -appreciated!

Cheers, Theo
Old 9th March 2021, 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by René Brachten View Post
ORB of 76 Squadron: Halifax "V" LK949 attacked primary target at 19.53

René
Some additional info from the book:
On page 141 Giørtz writes that the briefing was at 16:00 hrs and take-off at 17:00 hrs. They were in the third wave and their target was the industrial area.

In Giørtz's logbook entry for Nov 3 he writes:
OPS. DÜSSELDORF. Shot up over Krefeld, M/U F and F/Eng bailed out, R/G injured, landed Foulsham.
4:50 (hours) Night

Øystein
Old 9th March 2021, 18:12
Alter Hase

Thanks for sharing these interesting and useful additional details. Cheers, Theo