Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 6th January 2006, 19:37

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough
Re: JG 300 book

..I did put this question directly to M. Lorant a while ago...and the answer is a qualified 'yes'...

meanwhile here is a link to an excellent recent review of the Eagle Editions Vol 1 JG 300 - with sample profiles, pictures and text extracts

"...the pilots' stories make for some of the most gripping descriptions of WW2 dogfighting I've ever read - they are as vivid as if the events took place yesterday and the contrast between the sheer scale of some the actions, the tiny details of personal drama, the terror and, ultimately, the tragic waste of young lives is noteworthy..."

JG 300 Vol 1 review by Rowan Baylis
Old 7th January 2006, 07:10

indianer1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the indications ... hopefully the translation would be out in the not-too distant future...
Old 26th January 2006, 13:43
In Memoriam

Eric Larger

Hello

I have just finished reading the second volume of JG300 ( french issue ) .

Superb !

Nice unknown photos , machines but also me and women of this unit even after having exchange their military uniforms against civil clothes . The very last weeks of the war are really interesting .

It would be too much long to describe here , so buy it , it is much more than worthy !

All the best

Eric
Old 27th January 2006, 21:32

..I too am still engrossed in Vol II of this amazing work (French edition) - I was however very intrigued to see that the photo of Erhardt's 'Red 8' in flight as published on P353 of Peter Rodeike's Jagdflugzeug 190 volume doesn't appear anywhere in this book...it's credited to Held in the Rodeike book - who would have taken it..Bretschneider presumably..?

Last edited by FalkeEins; 27th January 2006 at 22:10.
Old 28th January 2006, 15:03

Jean-Yves Lorant is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: JG 300 book

I have the basic photograph, that Herren Werner Held und Peter Rodeike were wrongly credited (the last quoted author is by far the most serious). It doesnt matter, there are large doubts about the authenticity of this image. An artists impression ? For that reason we decided to drew it aside from the book.

Cheers, "Falke Eins" my friend !
Old 19th March 2006, 11:31

for interested bibliophiles I have transcribed and translated Fred Marsaly's Aerostories interview with Jean-Yves Lorant. Jean-Yves talks candidly about the ups and downs of researching and writing his two volume history of JG 300. You can get there via my home page link. Thanks for reading

Kaczmarek
Old 31st March 2006, 18:43

merit210 is on a distinguished road

Hallo Herr Lorant,

ich wollte mal fragen ob die deutsche Version vielleicht schon etwas näher gerückt ist, oder ob es noch eine Weile dauert? Bin am überlegen, mir doch die englische Version zu holen.

Viele Grüße
Manfred

P.S. Grüße auch von meinem Löbnitzer Freund M. Stoye, den Sie ja noch kennen müssten!
Old 1st April 2006, 00:43

Jean-Yves Lorant is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: JG 300 book

Hallo Manfred

Die Sache kann Ihnen widersinnig scheinen, aber die Benutzung der deutschen Sprache ist in der Regel auf diesem Forum nicht erwünscht. Ich muß mich aus diesem Grund kurz fassen, sonst wird der gute Herr Horta in seinem blendenden Stil "schimpfen".
Die Probeseiten des 2ten Bandes, die uns vor kurzem übersandt wurden, wimmeln noch von Fehlern aller Art. Haarsträubend, im wärsten Sinne des Wortes! Dieser Umstand ist größtenteils auf einer schlechten Computer-Handhabung bei Eagle Editions zurückzuführen. Wird hoffentlich bald korrigiert.
Also bitte noch ein bisschen Geduld haben. Ihnen und Herrn Matthias Stoye - mit dem ich schon korrespondiert habe - für heute einen kräftigen Hals und Beinbruch !

Please try to write in english next time...

Jean-Yves Lorant