Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th September 2014, 10:12

wit661owl is on a distinguished road
flugplatz Lemonsky

Good morning everybody
I'm looking for location of airfield Lemonsky which II./JG53 operated from between 25 and 30 of june during Barbarossa
B rgds
Old 18th September 2014, 15:14
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: flugplatz Lemonsky

Following the Kampfweg of II./JG 53 for late June and early July 1941, "Lemonsky" would almost certainly have to be in south Latvia, but neither I nor Wikipedia have ever heard of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...aces_in_Latvia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_exonyms

L.
Old 18th September 2014, 23:31

Pesel## is on a distinguished road

Pardon me guys, as I am not a JG 53's expert. But taking into consideration set of data provided by Michael Holm (at www.ww2.dk) the II./JG 53 had not participated at early stages of Barbarossa. At 13.06.41 it was rebased from Mannheim to small Feldflugplatz Neusiedel (currently Polish Karchów, Silesia). Twelve days later it (though without 6./JG 53, which was then relocated several times in Germany and Holland) was moved to "Lemonsky", which is our object of investigation, and just five days later returned to Silesia: Kreuzburg- Süd (pol.: Kluczbork). Or...perhaps it never left Silesia in period 13.06. - 05.07 1941? At early July 1941 it eventually seem to appear at Alt-Schwaneburg, or Gulbenes, Latvia
Wherever it could be, I belive "Lemonsky" is somewhere in Silesia. Such a name could be a an effect of mistaken reading of a handwritten text. Let me have look on it, and I hopefully will tell you where it is.

Last edited by Pesel##; 18th September 2014 at 23:32. Reason: typos
Old 19th September 2014, 02:49
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Flugplatz "Lemonsky"

p.328: “Zwischen dem 12. und dem 14.Juni 1941 begann die Verlegung nach dem Osten; Stab und I.Gruppe gingen nach Krzewicza, die II./JG 53 verlegte nach Neusiedel in Ostpreussen und die III.Gruppe ging nach Suwalki.”

p.346: (24-25 Juni)“Aufgrund des schnellen Vormarsches der Heerestruppen wurden die ersten Vorwärtsverlegungen des Geschwaders erforderlich; daher machten sich am Abend die Vorkommandos auf den Weg, um die neuen Plätze für die Berlegung vorzubereiten – Pruszana für den Stab und die I.Gruppe, Lemonsky für die II. und Wilna für die III./JG 53.”

p.413: (26 Juni)Bf 109 F-2 Wk.Nr. 5452 from II./JG 53 was shot up and made an emergency landing at Slonim/140 km E Białystok.

p.413: 01 Juli)Bf 109 F-2 Wk.Nr.5756 and 5450 both damaged in crash landings at Kreuzburg (Krustpils) in NE Latvia 120 km ESE Riga.

Source:
Prien, Jochen. Pik-As: Geschichte des Jagdgeschwaders 53. 3 Teile (volumes). Eutin: Struve-Druck, c. 1989-90. Teil 1(Aufstellung des Geschwaders-Vorkriegszeit-Sitzkrieg-Frankreichfeldzug-Einsatz gegen England-Russlandfeldzug-Holland-Einsatz gegen Malta: März 1937 – Mai 1942). Teil 2 (Mai 1942 bis Januar 1944, ISBN: 3-923457-14-6). Teil 3 (1943-1945, ISBN: 3-923457-16-2). Hb (oversize). Dj. 1,721p. Heavily illus. Maps. Dwgs. Tables. Numerous appendices incl. loss and victory lists. Name index.

In this hour-by-hour, day-by-day history of JG 53, Dr. Prien makes no mention of II. Gruppe being detached and sent to Silesia, nor does he give the location of “Lemonsky”, either. He mentions previously un-disclosed and un-named Soviet VVS field airstrips and landing grounds in South Latvia, Lithuania and eastern Poland, so it’s quite likely that “Lemonsky” is one of those.Perhaps the Russians named it after the commander of one of their fighter regiments (IAP).But II. Gruppe was clearly engaged over eastern Poland on 26 June and I think that would be a bit too far a distance for a Bf 109 based in Silesia.

L.

Last edited by Larry deZeng; 19th September 2014 at 16:24.
Old 20th September 2014, 01:06

Even Dr.Prien makes mistakes giving geographic names. We have Krzewicza instead of Krzewica, or Pruszana instead of Prużana. So what the Lemonsky could be? Some characters were added or removed, some probably changed. The area of East Prussian/Polish/Lithuanian border are full of names that ends up with –ai (Valkininkai, Daugai, Mockai to take a few) on Lithuanian side, and –y (Sejny, Dolinczany, Niuchy) on Polish one. As II./JG 52 moved from Neusiedel/Ostpr to Lemonsky and lost an aircraft near Słonim (a small airfield by the way), taking into consideration operational range of Bf-109F, I would put the Lemonsky to area where Polish/Lithuanian/Belorussian border meet. I have checked Lithuanian geographic names and I have found nothing similar to Lemonsky. I suppose the area being Polish before 1939, now belonging to Belaruss, is the one a Lemonsky shall be looked for.
From the other hand I totally disagree that Lemonsky could be a person, who gave it’s name to an airfield. It was totally forbidden in Soviet Union within it’s politic system. Okay if it’s Stalin, Lenin, Molotov, or someone of that sort, but rather nobody else.

Last edited by Pesel##; 20th September 2014 at 01:07. Reason: typos
Old 20th September 2014, 15:10

Good morning all
I agree that name Lemonsky might be a distorted name of Polish location however Germans ones took a territory from Soviets were not tightened to soviet rules of naming places ant went back to oryginal naming for instance name of owner of land property. I think we should fallow a drive of Wehrmacht land forces which II./JG53 covered in that days.
Al the best
Old 20th September 2014, 15:47
Alter Hase

Hi Pawel and wit661owl -

No disagreement with your analysis. However, I would add one additional comment. Many airfields used two names, the first for the principal city or town that it was closest to, followed by a dash and the second name that usually (but not always) designated a village or suburb on the outskirts of the city or town. This was usually done when a city or town had more than one airfield. Here is an example from the September 1943 edition of Übersicht d. SU Flugplätze:

Slonim-Derewiantschyze - Ziel-Nr. 784, 140 km E of Białystok, Einsatzhafen, 615 x 890 meters.
Slonim-Zyrowize - Ziel-Nr. 1610, 140 km E of Białystok, Landeplatz, (no measurements).

Lemonsky” is not to be found in the Übersicht, which lists some 10,000 Ostfront airfields. So it could be an improvised Feldflugplatz that was only used for a week or two, or it may be the second name of a two-name airfield, for example, Pružana-Lemonsky or similar.

Anyway, neither of us can find it so it will probably always be a mystery.

L.

Last edited by Larry deZeng; 20th September 2014 at 18:15.
Old 20th September 2014, 17:47

Unfortunately I have to agree with You Larry, I think it will be a mystery forever. I've searched the name Lemonsky on several russian-language sites but found nothing. There are several locations about which Russians researchers have no idea
All the best
Old 20th September 2014, 21:44

Hold on guys, I don't think everything is lost. First of all it's important to find out what is hidden under name "Lemonsky". Most of the Slavonic names means something. Let's translate into proper Polish the names Larry gave in his post above.
Slonim-Derewiantschyze - shall be Słonim Derewiantycze. The Derewiantycze could come from Derewnye (a village) or Drewno (wood). Slonim-Zyrowize - shall be Słonim Żyrowicze (żyrować = to endorse). Now tell me who and when distorted these names? Is Lemonsky a Lewońki or Liwonki (a Liwia river could be quite near of it)? I doubt the suffix -sky is proper in this name, and I keep on searching. Wish me luck :-)
Old 21st September 2014, 15:14
Alter Hase

I think you are on the right track, Pawel. Perhaps there was a Colony (Kolonia, Kolonie), which was an agricultural or farming estate, by the name "Lemonsky" that had a nice, firm, level grass pasture that could be used as an improvised field airstrip?

L.