Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 12th May 2005, 23:59

Six Nifty .50s
Re: Wish all German books were translated to English (was: Jagdgeschwader 5 - Volume 3)

I sense a stalemate here. I would say that both Ruy and Jukka have a case.

In a free market system any potential customer, like Jukka, has a right to make demands for specific products. If a potential supplier wants his money, they will try to provide what is demanded at a fair price. But the supplier does not have an obligation to do that, and may not have the funds or time necessary to translate research into foreign languages.

Obviously you cannot always trust the accuracy of translation, and the most practical way to avoid that problem is to learn the language used in the original texts and documents.
Old 13th May 2005, 00:03

anderbe
Re: Wish all German books were translated to English (was: Jagdgeschwader 5 - Volume 3)

My two - kaksi cent.. Every transelation loos a bit of the original.. Just look at the conversion from metric to imperial measures in most of the 'mainstream' books.. Bottom line - interested in german equipment / you got to understand german.. (Fininsh I have not tried yet - as you can see.. )
Old 13th May 2005, 00:18
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Nifty .50s
I sense a stalemate here. I would say that both Ruy and Jukka have a case.

But the supplier does not have an obligation to do that, and may not have the funds or time necessary to translate research into foreign languages.
As Eric explained, many books that appear in our sphere of interest are basically a labor of love and as such we cannot fault an author for choosing a language that we have not personally mastered.

I keep using the same example(s).

Besides others I have a strong interest in French, Russian and Japanese subjects. The first I have to work at (70-90% comprehension), but the latter two are beyond my ability. I am at the mercy of translations (in German for instance, from the former DDR), or simply watching pictures etc.

Do I blame Japanese or Russian writers and publishers, no, I just lament little and hope for better times...

BTW, even with the Japanese books it is a challenge to "crack" captions. If I manage to understand the basics - unit, etc - I am already in the seventh heaven!

Lets face it, if the market were so strong US and UK publishers would be standing in line with foreign authors to sign up a contract, or am I mistaken with the way the market works?

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 13th May 2005, 00:47
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Re: Wish all German books were translated to English (was: Jagdgeschwader 5 - Volume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen
Well, let´s have a reminder: what if the person is interested in (but has no intention to do archival research or interview anyone!!!) e.g. Polish, German, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Hungarian, Rumanian, Czech, French and Serbian history. Do you really suggest that the person must learn all these languages? Do you really think such suggestion is based on any kind of reality??? How many of the board members speak at least 10 languages fluently? Anyone???
Jukka
I am more less fluent reading English, Russian and my native Polish. I can read Czech (and similar Slovak) as well as German. I am merely able to read French. It is just enough for my interests.
Otherwise, yes, it is a problem but face the reality. There must be a market for those books. How many of you would like to read about Polish ace flying with Americans in China? How many of you will pay for the story? Certainly not enough to bother any mainstream publisher. Look what titles Osprey is publishing at the moment for example. This is an indicator of sales of particular subjects. Sorry, face reality.
PS1 I do not thin e-books are an option at the moment.
PS2 I have 8th edition of Skalski's memoirs (autographed ) - 70,000 pieces printed and all sold out! Anybody is still able to claim the market is still there?
Old 13th May 2005, 02:33

Adam

Guys - I thought this forum was for research and not for arguing the finer points of publishing. The world is not how it should be. I agree. Can I change it? No. I have heard it mentioned elsewhere that information not shared is lost and to that end Jukka is right; it is a shame that books are not translated into a variety of languages. However, that is not to say that this is practical. However shameful of the wider 'educated' world that may be.

All arguments like this do is create divisions between what is supposed to be a community of friends and peers working with a common, loosely defined goal. I live in a bush community in Australia and work with limited funds and resources and certainly without the aid of a social group with whom I can discuss my work with. And no, I don't speak German. I work word to word via a German/English dictionary. Not ideal, but what other choice is there? I can't get to the major European archives or museums, I don't even have a good, reliable bookstore nearby. For either of these entails several hours by car to either Sydney or Canberra (which happens to be in a different state to where I live for the non-Australians reading this). The closest I can get to a group of people with whom I can discuss my interest are right here on this board. As intimidating as being made to look a fool with my limited knowledge is (Luftwaffe research is only new for me) I perserve regardless. Perhaps I don't participate as much as I want to or ask the questions I truly do sometimes want to because of that, but as Erik said, this is our passion and we do it not for fiscal reward. True passions - especially those of an academic nature - are almost never financially rewarding or worthwhile, much is the pity. As researchers, this is our cross to bear. It does no good for the board or its members to have a thread like this. The younger and/or more timid members of the budding research community who may be reading this may well become jaded or put off slightly because of arguments like this.

Seriously, do we need the stress?

It is a poor reflection of the game we play that Jukka has to put forward his thoughts concerning publishing, for he is correct. Knowledge is governed by money. Whether that be the financial whims and necessities of publishers or our own personal funds allowing us access to knowledge (in this case classes in foreign languages). Knowledge should be available to all without the necessity of having to take a circular route to achieve it. Yet as Ruy correctly stated, if it was a passion and the knowledge was that important then a solution, or circular route, would be found.

Nobody is wrong and nobody is right, just everybody has lost focus. We are friends and peers. Researchers. Do we really need a thread as divisive as this?

Adam
Old 13th May 2005, 09:56
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Focus...

This discussion started because on more than one occasion an author was criticized because he choose to (first) publish in german. As an enthusiast I really strongly object to this negative approach.

I really think that this is not the right way to go about the fact that one - we all have - has personal limitations.

But you are right, I do not wish to beat a dead horse, so I will personally not continue to pursuit the matter any further.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 14th May 2005, 16:21

Erik Mombeeck is on a distinguished road

Hello
thanks for all these interesting reactions.
Regarding John's one (Maybe it is the time for authors like yourself to band together and form an independent publishing house aided by people like myself and those on many forums to support you not only by buying the books but in other way - (think out of the box!).

I find this difficult to do. I think that the greatest help for small self-editors like us would be to have good distributors in Europe as well as in USA. But, like we said before, the kind of subject we chosed does not attract much book sellers. So, we stay with the unsold books in our garages. A pity for the enthusiasts... and our cars.

best regards

Eric
www.luftwaffe.be
Old 16th May 2005, 20:04
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

If I may add a few words. Writers, whether of fiction or nonfiction, usually do not enter the field with the intention of learning about printing or distribution. They simply want to have copies of their work get into the hands of those that are interested in similar things. There is also the problems of dealing with publishers, their contracts, and limitations they may impose on the contents.

However, the approach to everything must be to solve problems and get answers to questions. Not guesswork or negative comments. As far as books published in languages other than English, my reply would be "Isn't that better than nothing?"

As far as people banding together to get their books published, well someone would still have to have the knowledge to deal with printers and distributors and make a living while doing it. There is also the concern that even among a group of like-minded individuals, there might be a development to modify the contents to save money. And who would finance these books?

It can be done. I currently work for a small, independent publisher of fiction books. It is hard work. In my case, I understand printing and distribution but it takes a while to learn. However, unlike the books being talked about here, there is no need to interview people or go to archives.

I agree with Ruy. Complain less, find ways to do the things you want to do. And finally, from my own experience, in publishing, as in much in life, there is no guarantee of success. (Becoming a plumber or electrician would get me a better income but I don't want to do those things.)

Regards,
Ed

Last edited by edwest; 16th May 2005 at 20:22.