Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th July 2009, 07:58

philippe1 is on a distinguished road
flugplatz GOLZHEIM info wanted

hello I am looking for information of the flugplatz GOLZHEIM
units stationed around MAY 10 1940
if possible also pictures from that flugplatz was it a grass field or with concrete buildings?
thnks in advance.
phil
Old 12th July 2009, 14:10
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: flugplatz GOLZHEIM info wanted

Golzheim was just a cow pasture SW of Köln that had been professionally drained so single-engine aircraft could use it. It was used briefly as a dispersal (Ausweichflugplatz) in early May 1940 for the attack on France and the Low Countries. It is never mentioned again until February-March 1945 when a few stray aircraft seem to have used it for a few days. It had no buildings, no fuel tanks, no services, no Kdtr., no nothing. I do not recall what unit staged through Golzheim in May 1940, it was only there for a few days.
Old 12th July 2009, 18:45
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Philippe -

This will answer your PM.

I./St.G. 2 was based at Golzheim off and on from October 1939 to 15 May 1940. It also used Marburg, Hildesheim and Köln-Ostheim during the same period. It used Golzheim as its forward dispersal strip and it was from there that it launched its attack on the Belgian fortress at Eben-Emael and nearby Belgian reserves in the early morning hours of 10 May. On 10 May it had 40(33) Ju 87Bs and was under VIII. Fliegerkorps/Luftflotte 2. On that date Golzheim was being temporarily serviced by Fl.H.Kdtr. E 61/XI, a specially motorized Fliegerhorstkommandantur originally established at Ichel and assigned to VIII. Fliegerkorps to move forward quickly to set up airfields and services (fuel and ammo) for Stuka units. It departed Golzheim on 14 May and moved forward to Anse and by 16 July 1940 was at Flers.
Old 12th July 2009, 18:56

hello Larry,
thanks a lot for your supply of info,
another part of my puzzle is made yet
thanks
Old 18th July 2009, 11:45

i found in a book that those stuka's with base Cologne -Ostheim have code on the plane
T6 + CA
T6 + KH
thats all what i have from codes, but i see that about 40 stuka's were located at that base
my question is how can i trace the code of the plane shot down on 12 may 1940 werknummer 5136 ?
probably the code started with T6 but what was comming after the + ??
can anyone help with this matter,?
phil