Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 22nd December 2013, 22:54
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Soviet Order No. 0299

Hi guys

Still on a learning curve!

Has anyone a translated copy of Order No. 0299 by the People's Commissar of Defence, dated 19 August 1941, subtitled:

"About awarding flying personnel of the Red Army for good combat performance and about measures to fight latent desertion among war pilots"

Soviet aircrew were apparently paid for combat victories etc!

Perhaps most of you knew about this, but I didn't!!

Enlightenment would be appreciated.

Cheers
Brian
Old 14th January 2014, 21:30

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road
Re: Soviet Order No. 0299

Hello Brian!

I've got a link to the order, but my understanding of Russian doesn't quite stretch to translating it. I hope that the text itself is of some help, since at least you know what needs to be translated!

The following link lists a few NKO (People's Comissariat of Defence) orders related to the VVS: www.airforce.ru/history/ww2/ww2doc/index.htm

That includes the one you're looking for:
Приказ НКО 0299 – О порядке награждения летного состава ВВС РККА за хорошую боевую работу и о мерах борьбы со скрытым дезертирством среди военных летчиков

This Russian forum post that I had spotted a few years ago lists two more relevant NKO orders:
vif2ne.ru/nvi/forum/0/archive/28/28059.htm

ПРИКАЗ О ДЕЙСТВИЯХ ИСТРЕБИТЕЛЕЙ ПО УНИЧТОЖЕНИЮ БОМБАРДИРОВЩИКОВ ПРОТИВНИКА
0489 17 июня 1942
ПРИКАЗ ОБ УСТАНОВЛЕНИИ ПОНЯТИЯ БОЕВОГО ВЫЛЕТА ДЛЯ ИСТРЕБИТЕЛЕЙ
0685 9 сентября 1942

To make matters even more confusing, there is a fourth NKO order on this subject, found in the same forum thread:
vif2ne.ru/nvi/forum/archive/28/28066.htm

С объявлением Положения о наградах и премиях для личного состава ВВС Красной Армии, авиации дальнего действия, истребигельной авиации ПВО и ВВС Военно-Морского Флота. 294.

I hope that someone comes forward and translates this fairly promptly!

Regards,
Paul
Old 14th January 2014, 22:39
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Many thanks indeed, Paul

Just what I was seeking and I've obtained a fair translation into English via Google Translate.

Any idea how 1,000 rubles equated to GB Pound in 1941?

Excellent!

Cheers
Brian
Old 15th January 2014, 16:33

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Many thanks indeed, Paul

Just what I was seeking and I've obtained a fair translation into English via Google Translate.

Any idea how 1,000 rubles equated to GB Pound in 1941?

Excellent!

Cheers
Brian
You are most welcome, Brian!

I don't know anything about exchange rates of the period, I am afraid, but there is certainly a man who does. Paul Gregory has been writing about the Soviet economy for decades, see his page at the Hoover Institution. I imagine he discusses real exchange rates in a few of his works. I would try to look at The Political Economy of Stalinism in the first instance. An alternative approach would be to try and browse a social history of the period, which would probably give you a good sense of what 1000 roubles could get you in everyday terms. Orlando Figes' The Whisperers is a famous example of such literature, but I haven't read it, so can't say if it's of any use!

Regards,
Paul