Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th July 2005, 16:06

Anton Verberne is on a distinguished road
Info needed on Flugplatz Achmer

Hello all,

In 2 weeks I'm going to Flugplatz Achmer to do some gliding from there. Since I'm there for a week I was wondering if there is a museum (or somthing like a museum) nearby that covers the (Luftwaffe) operations in WW2 from that airfield or others closeby (Rheine Hopsten perhaps??). Is there anything to visit in that area??

Any links to good sites are appriciated, couldn't find anything good on google.

Thanks in advance.

A.
Old 29th July 2005, 02:46
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Info needed on Flugplatz Achmer

Have a look here:

http://www.flugplatzachmer.de/

Ed
Old 29th July 2005, 10:05

Thanks Ed,

That is the site of the flying club I will be staying that week so I already had found that one. Unfortunately that site doesn't mention any aviation museums in the area.

Greetz

Anton
Old 29th July 2005, 10:13

Jaap Woortman

Anton,

Have a look at http://www.flugzeugmuseen.de/ to find the closest museum at Achmer.
Remember Achmer has played a big role in the Me 262 operations between August 1944 and April 1945. Please let us know if you see remarkeble "things" overthere. Have a nice trip and hopefully a lot fine gliding weather.

Jaap
Old 29th July 2005, 15:32

Henk Welting is on a distinguished road

Hello Anton,
Rheine - Hopsten are too far to the west but very close to Achmer is Hesepe (WW2 Luftwaffe-base and later camp of the RNethAF but now home for asylants); more of interest is Vörden a WW2 Luftwaffe-base (former RNethAF Nike-missile base with years ago the old flight building still in good shape).
I have a friend who is living in that area and researched the "Flugplatz Achmer". I'll see whether he is at home at the time you're visiting Achmer and could inform you at the site. Are you from Holland ?
Regards,
Henk.
Old 31st July 2005, 15:39

Hello Anton,
My German friend living close to Achmer and who researched this former Flugplatz accepts to meet you when you're over for gliding. However he wants some info and therefore - if you still are interested - mail me immediately at h.welting AT chello.nl (replace 'spaceATspace' by the regular @).
Regards,
Henk.
Old 1st August 2005, 17:40

Beste Henk,

This is all very nice of you and your friend. But since I'm not exactly sure in wich week I'll be going (probably week 32 but could but it could also be week 33, depends on several things like the weather) it will be very hard for me to tell you when I will be able to meet your friend.

Because if the weather is good I am planning to fly every day and make the most of it. I do not wish not to plan anything to far ahead. In case of bad weather I was wondering if there is anything to see when I can not fly.

So that's why I asked. But thanks for the offer.

Hartstikke aardig van je :-)

@ Jaap: Yes I know the 262 history of Achmer and Nowotny's last flight and so on. But thanks for mentioning it. And thanks for the link.

Vriendelijke groet,

Anton

Last edited by Anton Verberne; 1st August 2005 at 17:45.
Old 1st August 2005, 19:21

Anton,
Mail me at
h.welting_AT_chello.nl (replace _AT_ by @).
Henk.
Old 3rd August 2005, 19:39

Hello Anton,
If you have time and interest to meet Mr Dieter Przygode (Researcher Fliegerhorst Achmer) ask Mr Manfred Hermeling of the Segelflugclub Achmer who will be at the club almost daily.
Regards,
Henk.