Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 21st March 2012, 20:54

roumsetom is on a distinguished road
Fliegerhorst-Kommandantur E 22 / XII

hello
I am novice about Luftwaffe. I would like to know what was the role of the Fliegerhorst-Kommandantur E 22 / XII? Administration of air base? or an upper level of command with regard to a Luftwaffe unit?
Regards
Franck
Old 22nd March 2012, 00:41
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Fliegerhorst-Kommandantur E 22 / XII

Fliegerhorstkommandantur E 22/XII
Formed c.26 August 1939 (mobilization) at Ailertchen as Fl.H.Kdtr. (E) Ailertchen. Renamed Fl.H.Kdtr. E 22/XII c.Mar 40.
12 Jun 40: Attigny emergency landing ground/48 km NE of Reims.
16 Jul 40: Orléans-Bricy under Koflug 2/XIII (Orléans).
Nov 40: Orléans-Bricy under Koflug 2/XIII (Orléans). Reorganized and upgraded to an A-Horst in fall 1940.
May 41: Orléans-Bricy under Koflug 2/XIII (Orléans).
1942: Orléans-Bricy.
c. Jan 43: re-designated Fl.H.Kdtr. A 204/XII at Orléans-Bricy.
FpN: (L 32183)
Kommandant:
Hptm. Julius-Theodor Jansen ( ? - Aug 40)
Maj. Gustav Scheller (Aug 40 - May 41)
Oberst Rudolf von Katte (May 41 - ? ) 8/41
Maj. Erwin Ritter von Vogl ( ? - ? ) 10/41
Oberst Franz Fehring (Apr 42 - Jan 43)

A Fliegerhorstkommandantur (air base or airfield station command) was responsible for running the facilities of an airfield, e.g., administration, servicing and repair work, flight operations and control, base security, ammunition and fuel storage, minor construction work, billeting, base motor pool and garages, messhalls, etc. They came in different sizes. This one, an E-Horst-Kdtr., had about 260 Luftwaffe officers and men, plus 3,943 civilian employees who worked on the base (Orléans-Bricy). In addition to the 260 of the Fl.H.Kdtr., specialized Luftwaffe units could be attached to the Horst-Kdtr. to reinforce its capabilities. These could be Flak units, heavy maintenance/repair units, hangar construction units, transport columns, etc.

L.

P.S. Thank you for asking a question about the Luftwaffe that wasn't about fighter zoom-zooms! As you may have noticed, fighters and everything about them comprises about 99.99% of the discussion here. It is soooo refreshing to have a question about something else for a change!
Old 24th March 2012, 09:53

hi Larry
Thank you very much for answering.
I try at present to redraw the German period of Bricy air base. So, that is why I asked this question.
I also had a look in "Chronik KG 55 Greif" and "Chronik KG 51 Edelweiss" by Wolfang Dierich for information but I find nothing speaking about their presence on Bricy air base.
If someone do have the book "Fliegerhorst-Kommandanturen und flugplatz der Deutschen luftwaffe 1935-1945" by Joachim Streit, I should be happy to have a copy of pages concerning Bricy air base.
I'm looking for a over book which is speaking about "LG1" : " Die Geschichte des Lehrgeschwaders 1" part one by Peter Taghon
regards
Franck
Old 24th March 2012, 20:50

SES

Hi,
If you are that interested it is a pity that you missed the recent auction on e-bay (or maybe you didn't). Anyway here is a pic of what could be MJ Scheller.
bregds
SES

Last edited by SES; 1st July 2013 at 22:21.
Old 24th March 2012, 21:36

Hi
I saw the recent auction on e-bay... a friend of mine baught the album..
I confirm that this picture was taken on Bricy Air Base because there is the base's plan below on the left. Right hand of Major Scheller (?)
Regards
Franck

Last edited by roumsetom; 24th March 2012 at 23:24.