Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd May 2008, 03:20

Schenck
NAGr.2 in Greece?

Would anybody be able to share any details about the task and operations of this unit while based in Greece. In particular, I am interested about 3.Staffel at the end of 1943 and beginning of 1944.
The reason for asking this question is, it dawned on me that while going through ULTRA decrypts, this unit barely figured in daily operational returns for units based in Greece and those were pretty regular for mentioned period. The are few references to strength returns, some movements for both 2. and 3. Staffel through Yugoslavia as the war progressed, but nothing specific you can hold to. I can remember just few times Bf 110 having been mentioned operating recce tasks in areas of North Greece, Albania and Yugoslavia (Montenegro), but really only very few times.
I know that serviceability was an issue, one report gives it as less than 30%, but still...?
Was it some sort of a ghost unit that everybody forgot about, or....? Gratefull for any information.
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:08
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: NAGr.2 in Greece?

You can pick up a few mentions in the ORB and Appendices of 276 Wing (Signals Intelligence): AIR26/380, 381 & 382. Mainly Bf 110s of the 3. Staffel IIRC.
Old 22nd May 2008, 13:16

Schenck

Thanks Nick, I'll definitely have a look at it.
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:48

tasos greece is on a distinguished road

At 2/12/1943 a german garrison attacked by the greek partisans in south Peloponnese ( near Molaoi ).The losses for the germans was 11 dead , 5 wounded and 8 missing.In that attack the greek partisans came under fire by the Luftwaffe , a german document talks about " 3 Zerstorerflugzeuge mit bordwaffen ". That incident is mentioned also in the memoirs of two greek partisans.
I think that these aircraft could have been Me-110 G-2 of the 3./NAGr.2. Have you find any document about this incident?