Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th August 2005, 17:36

jet manga is on a distinguished road
Need help about aircraft losses

Hi there,

Friend of mine is working on the book about aircraft losses in the former Yugoslavia since beginning of flying in the area until today. Among losses of civilian/military aircraft with native pilots/crews he also wants to incorporate foreign losses over same area.

For now he had something from following links but need more information than is published there. He is especially interested in Allied (B-17, B-24, Spitfire…) and Axis (Bf109 and other) losses in the area during 2nd WW.

Any help is welcomed
JeT

http://www.yuairwar.com/gubici5.asp

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...ses/losses.htm
Old 29th August 2005, 14:47

Question Re: Need help about aircraft losses

Anybody please???
Old 29th August 2005, 19:57
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough
Re: Need help about aircraft losses

Dude, I don't think you begin to realize the scope of what you are asking. And if your buddy is truly thinking about doing a book about aircraft lost in Yugoslavia, then it would behoove him to do the research himself - to trust what he finds on the net verbatim is pretty foolish. There are lots of sources where you should be able to find much of the information you seek, but if you and your buddy aren't willing to put in the time to find it, why do you think I would? Now, if you're asking for suggestions for where to find source material - books, records, etc. - that's a different story and a reasonable request. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but that's the truth of it.

Here's a good start - Air War for Yugoslavia, Greece and Crete by Chris Shores

Publisher: Squadron/Signal Pubns (December 1, 1988)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN: 089747208X
Old 29th August 2005, 22:28
Alter Hase

HGabor has a spectacular aura aboutHGabor has a spectacular aura about

Hi Jet Magna,

just send me an e-mail to gghs@hotmail.com
Cheers,

Gabor
Old 30th August 2005, 15:13

Gabor check your inbox

Jim you are not harsh but you shouldn’t conclude something without knowing the background. For example my buddy is retired AF Brigadier who all his life collect data about aircrafts losses in Yugoslav area. And in case you checked my web-page, you could find out that I already published few things.

Links shown in my first post are not kind of thing I am looking for but example of researchers I am seeking for. So if you know some researchers like men behind those web-sites please give me the link or their e-mail

Btw Squadron Signal books are good source of information for somebody who doesn't know literally anything on the subject. Believe me there is so many better and more valid books. Tnx anyway
Old 30th August 2005, 15:32
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road

Jet Manga
Christopher Shores' Air War for Yugoslavia, Greece and Crete isn't one of those slim Squadron/Signal booklets but a proper thick book, IIRC over 500 pages, and it's a good source. And some of the Squadron/Signal booklets are also good even if one knows something on the subject beforehand.

Juha
Old 30th August 2005, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juha
Jet Manga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juha

Christopher Shores' Air War for Yugoslavia, Greece and Crete isn't one of those slim Squadron/Signal booklets but a proper thick book, IIRC over 500 pages, and it's a good source. And some of the Squadron/Signal booklets are also good even if one knows something on the subject beforehand.

Juha

I will find one and judge it. In meantime we are losing time while I am trying to find relevant researchers for aircraft losses. That includes all - Germans, Austrians, Italians, Russians, Hungarians, Bulgarians, Romanians, Greeks, Americans, Brits (including all Commonwealth AF) and all other nations who flew over ex-Yugoslav soil.

Tnx in advance
JeT
Old 30th August 2005, 19:59
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Your question is not very clear as there were thousands of aircraft lost there. Perhaps a list would help? Also, it is not clear if the book covers Northern Yugoslavia which was under Hungarian administration.
Old 30th August 2005, 21:18
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim P.
Air War for Yugoslavia, Greece and Crete by Chris Shores

Publisher: Squadron/Signal Pubns (December 1, 1988)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN: 089747208X
Correction, make that Grub Street instead of S/S

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 30th August 2005, 21:57

Schenck

Hello to everybody

JeT, the second a link is to a web site I started for my own fun a year ago and never came to round it uo because of lack of time.

I am sure you visited ABG before, there was a long topic on No 352 where you took a part, so you should be familiar with a topic on a/c losses over Yugoslavia – I’ve been working on the list for over a year and there are currently 1050 records I have compiled, mostly USAAF, RAF and LW(1943 and 1945). There are some other people from Croatia I am in contact with, who contributed with info they’ve had at the moment, so if you are interested in this, feel free to visit ABG and discuss the matter.

I would agree with JimP with what he said, compiling such a list is a daunting task, and it is bit naïve this form of research can be useful for a that sort of book. What I mean is I doubt you’ll find anybody who will offer you consistent help in research and offered you data for this kind of work –there actually people out there who earn money doing this.

When I started collecting information, I did it as my hobby and in some way I wanted to share it with anybody interested about it, and as I’ve already put it on the net, that is the only way I am prepared to work on it. So if anybody wants to contribute, I ll be happy with any piece of info received.

And for the end, may I just ask you when you said ‘they are not kind of thing you are looking for’, what are you looking for actually, or what kind of information are you after, as I almost exclusively used archive material available in NA and IWM, and lot of books and Internet resources, mostly as a secondary sources.

Franek, North Yugoslavia is rather broad term, Hungary occupied parts of Vojvodina province, namely Backa and Baranja – including a Croatian part of latter, geographically it is north of Danube and East of Tisa river, and parts of Slovenia along a Mura river. ANY A/C lost over these areas was considered lost over Yugoslavia.