Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 9th June 2016, 06:37

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road
Re: Forgotten Heroes - Aces of the Royal Hungarian Air Force in WWII (second revised, expanded edition)

Thanks, Aleks (no, I'm not looking for another PhD of History, since I already have one from 10 years ago).

Stig,

my book contains all aces: 34 fighter pilots, plus four others (one former Ju 87, then Fw 190 ground assault pilot, one Ju 88 pilot who scored 5 kills with his crew and two long range reconnaissance pilots, who scored 5 and 8 kills with their crews, respectively)

Due to the extremely high loss percentage of the official documents it is impossible to tell very exact figures of overall claims statistics of the RHAF, since many squadron's documentation is completely lost.

It is a lifelong project to me to try to restore as many details related to the RHAF as possible (for example via collecting individual logbooks from veterans and families all around the world but via many other sources too).
Old 9th June 2016, 09:33

stukapilot is on a distinguished road
Re: Forgotten Heroes - Aces of the Royal Hungarian Air Force in WWII (second revised, expanded edition)

i bought the second-hand 2 volume set "Légi Háború Magyarország Felett" from budapest many years ago and gained brief account of operational histories of RHAF by the help of google translator, but the translation was rough as u know. and hikoki also published a book named "Hungarian Eagles. The Hungarian Air Forces 1920-1945" by Punka Sárhidai and Punka György, which i guess it's the abridged edition translated from the origianl "A Magyar Királyi Honvéd Légierő 1920-1945" by the same authors, but 64 pages contents r far from what i want to know. so mr. Stenge, what also concerns me most is if u have any plans to write a complete combat history of RHAF in ww2, or the best-known 101st fighter wing, in english of course ))
Old 9th June 2016, 09:51
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Thanks Csaba

I was afraid that would be the case.
Well, you have been convincing enough for me to want the book, but it is unfortunately useless in Hungarian for me, so with an English edition in the pipeline, you got another customer...

Cheers
Stig
Old 11th June 2016, 20:12

Mirek Wawrzynski is an unknown quantity at this point

Sincere congratulations on the release of the second edition after 10 years.

A few questions is not easy but all in all simple:

1. As a second edition differs from the first (the number of pages / characters, the number of photos)?

2. How much you've gone to make progress of the material in relation to this version from 10 years ago?

3. Did you give a different version of the paper, better quality than that of the first edition?

Once again sincere congratulations, this work requires great effort and passion. This is not eating "bread and butter".

This is a very big success of research and editorial whereas even what you did in the first edition.

Regards
mw
Old 12th June 2016, 07:12

Gentlemen,

I have many interesting and historically important running projects, albeit with pretty low intensity (due to the acute lack of time). Sooner or later, there will be some more materials, but finishing such materials is extremely difficult and time consuming (and also very costly).

As for this project itself, it is doubled compared to the 200-page-long 2006 edition (402 pages with 350 illustrations, plus the colour profiles). Evidently it contains a lot of new info. The book was fully printed in 4/4 colour (CMYK printing) in glossy paper in hardcover A/4 format. That's why it is so heavy (1,8 kgs).

Few photos available there:
https://www.facebook.com/B-Stenge-Cs...96007973861711
Old 24th June 2016, 06:32
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Csaba,
The book arrived Wednesday. What a magnificent effort.

A4 size paper, coated paper stock with very good photo reproduction. Hard cover, no dust jacket but a illustrated cover. 402 pages. Bios of all aces starting on page 64, going to 366, from highest scoring to lowest, with 10 pages for additional "near aces". Bibliography and footnotes.

An important addition to my collection. I am really looking forward to the English translation, so I can actually read the book!

Many thanks.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 25th June 2016, 06:34

Frank,

thank you for your kind words.

The English edition is scheduled for 2018.
Maybe a French and a Russian edition would be also interesting for the broader audience, but it depends on the publishers, as always.
Old 23rd August 2017, 17:48
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Hello,

Looks like we shall have to be very patient. Given Helion's track record on non-appearance of projected publications in the past, I hope the publication date is not just a cruel joke. Looks to be well worth the wait! Will nestle in quite nicely with, "Baptism of Fire" - https://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/AS...dallbooksea-20

Col.
Old 28th August 2017, 15:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Bruggy View Post
Hello,

Looks like we shall have to be very patient. Given Helion's track record on non-appearance of projected publications in the past, I hope the publication date is not just a cruel joke. Looks to be well worth the wait! Will nestle in quite nicely with, "Baptism of Fire" - https://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/AS...dallbooksea-20

Col.
It will be available for sure but the publication date is hazy yet (currently the manuscript is under translation).
Old 23rd February 2019, 23:42
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

I have the (English) edition of the book on order from Amazon, and they have just informed me that the scheduled publication date (in the US, at least) is now firmly set at April 2. So it looks like Helion has put the book in production; which is to say they got enough pre-orders to justify publication. Very good news!

Enjoy!

Frank.

Tags
aces, forgotten heroes, rhaf, royal hungarian air force