Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 13th June 2014, 20:42
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Captured Eagles: Secrets of the Luftwaffe

Scheduled for October 21st.

http://www.amazon.com/Captured-Eagle...ords=luftwaffe

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 14th June 2014, 22:51

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Captured Eagles: Secrets of the Luftwaffe

Dear Ed,

This would be a rather rare book, if, as I think I understand the description, it covers testing of captured German aircraft through WW II and thereafter. Most books seem to focus primarily on the post WW II period.

The author, Frederick A. Johnsen, has been involved with USAF history for quite some time, so, hopefully, this will be a good book.

Regards,
Richard
Old 15th June 2014, 04:35
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Richard,

I certainly hope so. The influence of the Germans and Austrians brought to this country, particularly those brought in for their aerospace knowledge, needs a more thorough treatment. For example, Alexander Lippisch worked for the "aeronautical division" of the Collins Radio Company. Is that a really bad cover story or what?

Regards,
Ed West
Old 15th June 2014, 14:01

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Ed,

Like you, I've wondered why we haven't seen a good book that covers the postwar employments of the Paperclip individuals.

The Wikipedia article on Lippisch doesn't say whether he was involved or not in the early post war delta aircraft work done in the U.S. by Convair. It picks up his history in 1950 when he worked until 1964 for the Collins Radio Company in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, which had an aeronautical division. By this point, his interests lay elsewhere than continuing his delta wing research. His collected papers are archived at Iowa State University, so I don't think his work at Collins was a subterfuge for "secret" delta aircraft design work. Whether or not he consulted with Convair on their F-102, F-106 and B-58 designs isn't stated. I don't see any reason for subterfuge on the subject of his involvement or lack thereof at the point of time of these developments.

Prof. Messserschmitt and Lippisch did not get along and Lippisch left Messerschmitt in 1943 for other employment. It is thus possible that Lippisch had a difficult personality and this may have kept him out of employment with the major U.S. aircraft manufacturers, but then I'm only guessing.

Regards,
Richard