Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 5th April 2016, 17:22

marcpoole is on a distinguished road
Spitfire JK171, 52nd FG

Hi all,

I am researching the Spitfire flown by Capt. Arnold E. Vinson of the 2nd FS, 52nd FG, who was shot down near El Guettar, Tunisia on April 3, 1943. Vinson's MACR has the plane recorded as a Mk. Vb with a Merlin 45, and the production order for that block of Spits was for Mk. Vb's, but I see elsewhere that the majority of AC in that batch were actually Vc's. The airhistory.org website lists the following:

JK171Vc
CBAFM4612MU 24-1-43 222MU 4-2-43 SS657 19-2-43 Gibraltar 9-3-43 NWAfrica 31-3-43 2FS/52FG USAAF 'QP-T' lost in Med 3-4-43 Capt AE Vinson kia

Which I understand as Castle Bromwich, a MkVc with Merlin 46, maintenance units for disassembly, delivery to Gibraltar aboard the SS Henry Baldwin, I assume it then gets the Trop treatment and arrives North Africa March 9, is assigned to the 52nd FG on March 31, and is lost 3 days later.

I am curious as to the community's thoughts on whether it was a Vb or c...are there any other possible resources? I also assume that the upper right wing RAF roundel and fin flashes were painted over prior to this mission...did that happen at the FG/FS unit level, or when it received it's trop updates? Would this have been Vinson's personal plane, or simply a new squadron replacement? Any personal markings beyond the squadron QP*T? Vinson had 4.33 kills prior to the mission, so trying to figure out if his plane would have had any personal markings, or if there would have been time for that in the short few days the plane was with the group, and it was a very active week. Trying to form an accurate picture of what the plane may have looked like...

Thank you in advance for any insight!
Old 6th April 2016, 23:54
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road
Re: Spitfire JK171, 52nd FG

Morgan & Shacklady Spitfire the History (2000) says F Mk VC with Merlin 46.

Juha
Old 7th April 2016, 04:40

marcpoole is on a distinguished road
Re: Spitfire JK171, 52nd FG

Thank you, Juha! Every resource helps...it seems it was a Mk. Vc...just curious as to why it would have been recorded as a Vb on the MACR? Maybe just the fog of war...

Thanks again,

Marc