Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th January 2005, 06:22

Spanferkel is on a distinguished road
Wealdon Aviation Group

Does anyone know if this organization is still in existence? Some of you may recall they recovered or excavated quite a few WW2 aircraft wrecks in the UK, German and Allied, in the 1970's and beyond and were featured quite frequently in the "Then and Now" books.

In addition if they do still exist what became of the recovered items Museums?

Cheers

Jeremy

www.aufhimmelzuhause.com
Old 25th January 2005, 13:22
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
The Wealden Aviation Archeaological Group (WAAG) is no longer in existence even though its main members are. The recovered items ended up in a number of museums and private collections
Old 25th January 2005, 16:00

Spanferkel is on a distinguished road
Wealdon

Thanks Chris,

Next question is how I might contact any former members?

To be specific the WAG excavated a crash site of an Me. 410 of 15/KG2 which went down on the night of 8-9 Nov.. Lost were Stflkap. Wilhelm Schmitter and his wireless operator/gunner. Though the aircraft, according the "Then and Now" Vol. "completely disinegrated due to it hitting the ground w/its payload what was recovered by WAG and what interests me is the Wknummer plate for the Me.410. If I could get a copy or image of the plate it would be helpful.

All the best.

Jeremy

www.aufhimmelzuhause.com
Old 25th January 2005, 16:29
Alter Hase

Send me your email address and I will forward your email to Andy Saunders
Old 4th September 2008, 16:23

gasiorowska is on a distinguished road
Re: Wealdon Aviation Group

Hi, I hope it's not too late to contact someone from the Wealdon Aviation Group.

My grandfather's Hurricane was unearthed in 1979 at Saddlescombe farm by this group after he was shot down on 9th September 1940. He was injured but survived.

He died a few months after I was born and I am desperate to find out more about him and his life. The RAF have been v. helpful, but I would like to find out what happened to the remnants of his plane after it was recovered. Please can someone help?
Old 4th September 2008, 18:49
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasiorowska View Post
My grandfather's Hurricane was unearthed in 1979 at Saddlescombe farm by this group after he was shot down on 9th September 1940. He was injured but survived.
Slightly off topic, but are you awared of photos of the aircraft still in one piece at Northolt?
Old 4th September 2008, 19:34
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders was instrumental in WAAG-he is a member here so send him a PM
Old 4th September 2008, 21:23

Tony Jones

Many recovered parts from unearthed wrecks can be found in the small museum at Lashenden Airfield, Headcorn, Kent.

The museum is free but only opens on Sundays. They also own a complete piloted version of the V-1 rocket plus an Angelis submarine towed glider and these are generally on show

There is another similar small museum where you have to pay at Hawkinge, Kent. But if you write down any Bf 109 serial or w/n they will throw you out so on principle most people don't bother to visit.

Tony
Old 4th September 2008, 21:36
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Jones View Post
There is another similar small museum where you have to pay at Hawkinge, Kent. But if you write down any Bf 109 serial or w/n they will throw you out so on principle most people don't bother to visit.Tony
Tony,
The reason being that in the past people have made written notes of items and their placement in the museum, and have then stolen items. It's a simple security matter that the owners have seen fit to put in place. It should deter no one, so to say "...on principle most people don't bother to visit..." is misleading and a slur on the museum and those who run it. Perhaps you can provide some hard evidence (i.e. numbers) of those who don't visit on principle because of the camera/notes embargo. Or is this just a load of bullshit?

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 5th September 2008, 09:42
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road

Gasiorowska

Hello! I was a founder member and one-time Secretary of the Wealden Aviation Archaeological Group which existed from 1971 - 81.

I was not present when parts of the Hurricane were unearthed, but I can put you in touch with people who were. As far as I know my friend Pat Burgess still has some parts from that aeroplane. Only a few shattered parts were found and I believe the propellor hub is still in the ground. Contact me and I can help you!

John

I do not think I am alone in my belief that the measures at Hawkinge smack more of paranoia than security. It cannot be considered normal for visitors to be relieved of cameras, notebooks, mobile phones, pens or recording equipment. Indeed, it is not unknown for notebooks to be confiscated and "offending" pages ripped out or cameras to have film removed. In the case of mobile phones I understand that images have been deleted if anyone has been foolish enough to defy the ban. I accept that the owners of the museum have a right to set their own terms and conditions. Equally, if those are the conditions then they need to be respected. But even so.....!!! Not only that, but any visitor who is known to have an interest in the subject above normal Joe Public level is viewed with suspicion and watched...or even followed! There are also a considerable number of fellow enthusiasts/researchers/historians who are "banned" from admission. I can think of several who are prominent members of this forum, in fact! As to the claim that the reason for these measures is to prevent theft to order, that can only be described as nuts. A considerable part of the collection is listed (or even photographed) in at least one publication. In any event, would not a potential thief be able to remember what he had seen and either come back later or report back to his potential "buyer". Or maybe there is a metal detecting screen on entry to find hidden recording equipment which, on exit, emits an electronic smog to expunge ones brain of the memory of all that has been seen.

Sorry, but if you are a serious researcher and want to use this museum as one might expect with other museums (ie an information, research and learning resource) then forget it, really.

Look at their own Guestpage or other forums to see that I am a lone voice amongst very many!