Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 17th December 2021, 12:31

Rudi Penker
Messerschmitt Bf 109 Guide d`Identification Tome 2

https://sound-bm.com/de/allgemeine-l...on-tome-2.html
Old 25th December 2021, 14:45
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Re: Messerschmitt Bf 109 Guide d`Identification Tome 2

Has anyone seen these two volumes? If yes, do they REALLY explain the (often minor) visible differences between various sub-types and manufacturers (something like the old Squadron/Signal 'In Action' titles did)? Thanks.
Old 28th December 2021, 14:10

messcaster is on a distinguished road

As a reader (I'm not a scholar or a writer) I find this book very contributive to my knowledge.*

The core of the book is about the G-K identification. You will find a lot of drawings in the Squadron Signal style. The engine cowling part is outstanding.*

The goal of this book is to identify the plane on picture with a rigorous approach. So there is, for the G-K, a WkN block by WkN block description. This is really great!*

From E to K those two books are really good. I'm however more reserved about A-D versions. Especially about the A-B differences. I've found David Johnston's German Eagles in Spanish Skies (Schiffer Ed) much more informative.

But no matter, just for the G-K versions J.-C. Mermet's books are worth it!*
Old 26th March 2022, 06:33

Milos Gazdic is on a distinguished road

Are English editions of the two volumes planned any time soon?
For such a book I would for sure prefer English eversion
Best,
Milos
Old 26th March 2022, 21:55
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Description as translated by google.

Volume 1 of Messerschmitt Bf 109 approached the aircraft from a mainly technical angle with some details relating to significant operational facts. This was without counting on the legitimate curiosity of readers who, on their return, demanded even more details, touching on the identification of all the versions of this mythical aircraft, its war paint, and therefore its camouflage patterns according to periods of employment on the various fronts.

These requests are satisfied in this second volume and the author took the opportunity to devote an entire chapter to the much underestimated difficulty of interpreting black and white photos in order to try to deduce colors from them... Another chapter is also devoted to all the subcontractors who have either produced the parts and accessories necessary to manufacture complete and operational aircraft, or who have produced them entirely, or who have repaired or modified them.

The reconnaissance versions, often forgotten, are listed with the cameras that may have equipped them.
Old 26th March 2022, 22:03
Alter Hase

I should mention another book that came out in 2004 that attempted to cover the same ground, and was well received.

Messerschmitt Bf 109 Recognition Manual: A Guide to Variants, Weapons and Equipment.

https://www.amazon.com/Messerschmitt.../dp/190322327X

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 8th April 2022, 12:20

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
and was well received.
Ed, I think you missed a 'not' out in that part of your sentence. The guy's 'research' was slated on this forum and he gave it up subsequently. Sommerau's book had no drawings IIRC. Mermet's work is much more detailed especially in those areas pointed out by 'messcaster'

Last edited by FalkeEins; 8th April 2022 at 15:15.
Old 8th April 2022, 13:22
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

I agree with Neil. Based on the title, I expected more from the book.
Honestly, for me the best such source for quick identification of various models and variations is still the old Squadron/Signal titles, where an arrow points to the visual differences.
After so many years, I am (still) looking for a reference book on the Bf 109 series, done with the same visual approach, that I could use in my everyday attempt to properly identify what I see on photos.
Old 8th April 2022, 18:07
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalkeEins View Post
Ed, I think you missed a 'not' out in that part of your sentence. The guy's 'research' was slated on this forum and he gave it up subsequently. Sommerau's book had no drawings IIRC. Mermet's work is much more detailed especially in those areas pointed out by 'messcaster'

Neil,

What I'm missing all over the internet is a large increase in postings and no good cross-reference. Here and elsewhere, out of sight out of mind. Unlike books with indexes, the internet is a huge mess. I can type in almost anything and get over a million hits in under .5 seconds.

I recall an early argument here between two researchers who had documents. Eventually, they agreed to cooperate, which led to the book I mentioned. How many times are the same questions asked over and over and over, not just here but elsewhere? Until the internet manages something approaching a well-researched book with appropriate references, I'm sticking with well-researched books with appropriate references. Earlier today, I did a search on something I thought I knew well. It resulted in a multitude of bad to extremely bad references. And when I write bad, I do mean bad.

So here, we are faced with questions and if the right person is not here on the right day, the question is pushed behind new posts. He shows up, never sees the question and there is no answer. On the other hand, there are those who are quite demanding. They need an answer - immediately.

As the internet grows, it becomes less useful in many ways.

Best,
Ed
Old 29th May 2022, 14:06

Milos Gazdic is on a distinguished road

I agree with Ed in much of his point of view when it comes to the internet.

I would also like to add an "expiry date" of many of the sites. Things just don't last. Just remember all the forums where many researchers have contributed in the past 20+ years that are now long gone and unavailable. Links from discussions from 10 years ago or so are leading "nowhere". Sadly.

I don't mind paying money for the good references...