Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 27th July 2017, 21:54
Awaiting Confirmation

Flavio
Re: Skalski/Franciszek Grabowski

Thank you very much Franek,

for your reply.

As I am not an expert about Polish ID markings, I suppose that the "section leader" markings you are referring are the pale blu band and letter "I" on the port upper wing (at least according to the decal sheet of Mirage's 1/48 PZL P.11c model).

By the way, it could be interesting the article "Rozwiązana zagadka P.11c Stanisława Skalskiego" by Krzysztof Sikora (I came across incidentally on the web, but probably it was originally published on "Mini Replika" nr.59) where he stated that Skalski's "64" had serial number "8.62". According to him a photo published on the magazine "Model Hobby nr 3/2002 (13)" reveals such detail.

What do you think? Do you know this photo?

Flavio
Old 28th July 2017, 02:40
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Hello

Yes, I mean the stripe with the number, but the colour is a wild guess. I must note, that it looks, that few months later, aircraft #64 had different markings applied - photo is unclear but it seems narrow stripe close to the fuselage, and removed wing guns. Of course, assuming it is the same aircraft, and not replacement also coded 64.

I am the author of the Model Hobby article. I do not recall being able to see anything of the serial, which was quite a disappointment for me. I would say the theory is risky, but obviously it cannot be disproven. Please note, that the Eskadra emblem on the plane is correct in the Model Hobby article and Mirage Hobby model kit. Beak and legs were of green colour (blue in other Eskadra), and not yellow, as portrayed.

I hope this helps.
Old 28th July 2017, 15:53
Awaiting Confirmation

Flavio

Thank you Franek.

Please I sent you a PM about this topic.

Regards

Flavio
Old 31st July 2017, 00:56
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

A nice review appeared on Amazon.

Customer Review

5.0 out of 5 stars A long overdue recognition of the Allies' first Ace of World War II, July 28, 2017
By Just A Guy
This review is from: Skalski: Against All Odds (Hardcover)
Polish author Frandiszek Grabowski's book has produced a remarkable--perhaps unique--insight into a long-overlooked chapter in the air war over Europe, 1939-1945. The role of the Polish airmen in that theater had an impact far beyond their limited numbers. This reality the author skillfully explains in a story that well describes their courageous aerial combat, no less so the vastly complicated politics of Polish airmen in the Royal Air Force. The serious historian of this subject will also appreciate the author's unrelenting committment to documenting this complex story, avoiding in the process the over-excited prose many other writers are prone to employ.

Polish pilot Stanislaw Skalski finished the war with at least 36 confirmed kills and numerous probables. Perhaps more importantly, he distinguished himself as a thoughtful flight leader, greatly admired and loyally followed by his fellow expatriate airmen. Sadly, it was his very high reputation for leadership that led to his post-war persecution at the hands of Poland's newly-arrived, communist masters.

This long-overdue accounting of Skalski, the pre-war Polish Air Force, and their subsequent contributions to the defeat of Nazi Germany, is both an entertaining and authoritative tale well worth the read.
https://www.amazon.com/review/RWQFYX..._rv_eml_rv0_rv