Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 26th October 2020, 19:51
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Seeking Clarity on Editions of Shores' "Aces High"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Thank you Nick and Frank,

I had hoped that an author of the stature of Mr. Shores would have some sway over the reprinting of his past works.

I guess now I need to start a petition.

Edward
No disrespect to Chris Shores but authors usually don’t have much sway at all but a petition (people willing to spend money) might. Good idea.
Old 27th October 2020, 13:10

SteveB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Edward

Can I put in a word for Christopher Thomas here!

As many would agree the published history of the RAF would be a lot thinner if it were not for the efforts over many years of Christopher Shores. However it is important to acknowledge that many of his seminal works are collaborative exercises as is now fully acknowledged in the MAW series with six names listed on the cover.

The 2TAF series was a collaborative exercise between the two Christophers Shores and Thomas and if it is the daily tables of claims and losses that interest you then I think you will find that Chris Thomas did all that work.

Steve
Old 27th October 2020, 14:00
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

I doubt whether Crecy will commit go anything at the moment because of the pandemic but a contract for the Do 217 came yesterday.........
Old 27th October 2020, 14:00
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

I must start by apologizing most profusely to Chris Thomas (CT) for badly understating his contribution to the four-volume 2nd TAF history authored by him and Chris Shores (CS). I have since learned the nature of their working relationship. The book started from CS’s Osprey history of 2nd TAF, which was organized by aircraft type; CS took that manuscript and reorganized it in chronological order with some additional material added by CT.

The original book had no listings of claims and losses, which had to be added. Rather than work from CS’s handwritten claims notes, CT worked from the 2nd TAF Log files at the PRO, keying them into a matrix format for each volume amplified with information from ORBs, combat reports, and casualty records

Whilst the bulk of the daily narrative (excluding the lists) was by CS, the majority of the stand-alone articles included (e.g. Spartan, Starkey etc) plus most of the substantial Appendices were by CT. Furthermore, the latter was also responsible for the acquisition, research and captioning of nearly all the 900 or so photos plus the creation of all 90 color ‘profiles’ and the maps. In the final (fourth) volume CT was responsible for 5 of the 10 Chapters, CS for 3 and 2 were by ‘guest’ authors.

I would also note a tendency, which I deplore, to tend to ignore any additional authors when referencing a ‘Chris Shores’ book. It is Shores and Thomas for 2nd TAF but Thomas and Shores for The Typhoon and Tempest Story; it is Shores and Williams for the various volumes of Aces High; and it is Shores and Cull for their earlier Mediterranean and SE Asia volumes; etc.

Enjoy!

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Olynyk; 31st October 2020 at 09:20. Reason: Major correction.
Old 27th October 2020, 17:19

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
I doubt whether Crecy will commit go anything at the moment because of the pandemic but a contract for the Do 217 came yesterday.........
Great news
Old 31st October 2020, 14:22

SteveB is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it would be helpful to give this thread a bump so that those who have followed it can read the apology made by Frank Olynyk to Chris Thomas which has replaced Frank's original post #14.

Steve