Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 18th September 2008, 23:26

SteveB is an unknown quantity at this point
Passion for Flight - Peter Bagshawe

Can anybody provide details of this book? I do not seem to be able to find much detail other than the book tells the stories of a number of successful SAAF aviators.

Who are the pilots included in the book? Who is Peter Bagshawe? There is/was an RAF pilot called Peter Bagshawe who was CO of No 250 Sqn at the end of the war and I am informed moved to South Africa after the war is he the same Peter Bagshawe?

Any help gratefully received

Steve
Old 22nd September 2008, 03:38

Doug Norrie
Re: Passion for Flight - Peter Bagshawe

Hi Steve,
The book is called 'Warriors of the Sky' by Peter Bagshawe. Published by Ashanti Publications, 1990. 270 pages HC. ISBN 1874800111.
Covers SAAF pilots (bomber, fighter, etc) stories during WW2 (all theatres)plus a few other conflicts after the war. Nice photo coverage.

Bagshawe born in Cyprus, later became South African citizen during 1950s & 1960s. Was C.O. of 250 Sqdn in Italy on his second tour of ops.
Doug
Old 22nd September 2008, 22:26

Doug

Thanks very much for responding.

Can I just check? There is definitely a book called "Passion for Flight" (it appears on the internet) are you saying the content is the same as "Warriors of the Sky"?

Steve
Old 24th September 2008, 02:02

Doug Norrie

Hi Steve,
I checked the Ian Allen website and the airmen mentioned in 'Passion for Flight' don't appear in 'Warriors of the Sky' so it appears that 'Warriors of the Sky' is probably a sequel to 'Passion for Flight' or vice versa. If you are looking for short first hand accounts of SAAF airmen of WW2 plus some photos you might like 'Warriors of the Sky'.
Doug
Old 25th September 2008, 11:30

Yep thanks again Doug its already on order. My uncertainty about "Passion for Flight" was wondering whether it was largely about civil flying escapades.

Thanks for your help all the best

Steve