Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th September 2006, 06:04
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point
Maj. Georg-Peter Eder-17 times shot down

This famous ace was shot down 17 times and wounded 14 times.His first accident was on August 10, 1941 with 4./JG-51 when he collided with a Ju-52 in a ground accident and his final shot down on February 17,1945 while flying a Me-262 with 9./JG-7.

These are the one I know from Obermaier:
March 27,1943 --wounded while attacking a B-17
November 5,1943--bailed out while attacking heavy bombers
April 19,1944--bailed out in combat
May 8,1944--belly landed after claiming a B-24
May 29,1944--wounded again

Does anyone know more instances?
Old 12th February 2007, 07:33

RossGmann is on a distinguished road
Re: MAj. Geor-Peter Eder-17 times shot down

www.luftwaffe.cz/eder.html

Georg-Peter “Schorsch” Eder was born on 8 March 1921 at Oberdachstetten. In October 1938 he joined the Luftwaffe. At the beginning of April 1939 he enrolled in the aviation academy at Berlin-Gatow. A year later he sat a pilot examination and was sent to aviation school at Werneuchen. He flew his first combat mission with 1./JG 51 on 1 September 1940. He flew with this unit throughout the Battle of Britain but did not gain a victory. In May 1941 he joined 4./JG 51 and with this unit shot down his first aircraft, a RAF Spitfire fighter, on 7 May. Eder marked his participation in the commencement of the campaign on the Eastern Front by destroying two Russian aircraft on 22 June 1941. On 24 July 1941, he was shot down and wounded. On 22 August, Eder collided with a Ju 52 transport aircraft on the ground at Ponjatowska in his Bf 109 F-2 (W.Nr. 9184). He suffered a fracture at the base of the skull and was forced into hospital. He had recorded 10 victories at this time. On recovery from his injuries, Eder was sent as a flight instructor to Jagdfliegerschule 2 based at Zerbst arriving there on 1 November 1941. Eder was transferred to 7./JG 2 based in France on 1 November 1942. With this unit he participated in the growing battle against the American four-engined heavy bombers. With Hauptmann Egon Mayer (102 victories, of which 25 were four-engined bombers, RK-S), also of III./JG 2, Eder developed the strategies to combat the formations of four-engined B-17s and B-24s. Particularly noteworthy was the development of the head-on attack in order to take advantage of the relatively weak defensive fire from that sector of the bombers. In February 1943 Eder was appointed Staffelkapitän of 12./JG 2. On 28 March he downed a B-17, however, was hit engine of his machine and he was wounded when his Bf 109 G-4 (W.Nr. 14 998) somersaulted upon landing at Beaumont. Eder continued to score steadily, destroying his 20th enemy aircraft on 29 May 1943. After shooting down a P-47 and a B-17 Herauschuss on 30 July his victory total reached 31 victories. On 5 September 1943, Eder was transferred as Staffelkapitän of 5./JG 2. He continued to fight against the formations of four-engined bombers and had continued success against these aircraft. On 5 November, Eder was again forced to bail out of his Bf 109 G-6 (W.Nr. 20 733) and was again injured.
In March 1944 Oberleutnant Eder was transferred to 6./JG 1. He baled out of his Fw 190 A-7 (W.Nr. 430 645) “Yellow 4” following aerial combat with an USAAF P-47 fighter near Göttingen on 19 April. On 8 May, he downed a B-24 but he was also hit and had to make an emergency landing in Fw 190 A-8 (WNr 170071) “Yellow 4” at Vechta. On 29 May, after shooting down a B-17, collided his Fw 190 A-8 (W.Nr. 730 386) "red 24" with Siebel during landing in Cottbus but Eder escaped unhurt. By the end of the month of May he had a total of 49 confirmed victories. As the Kommandeur of II./JG1 he fought in the aerial battles over Normandy after the Allied invasion. On 21 June 1944 he recorded his 50th victory and on 24 June received the Ritterkreuz. On 11 August 1944 Eder took command of 6./JG 26. In an attack on allied armour near Dreux on 17 August Eder shot down a Spitfire from very low altitude; it crashed between two M-4 Sherman tanks, destroying them both. Shortly after it he shot down a second Spitfire, which crashed on a third tank, setting it on fire. On 4 September Hauptmann Eder became Gruppenkommandeur of II./JG 26, the day after the unit's previous Kommandeur Hauptmann Emil Lang (173 victories, RK-EL) was killed in action against USAAF Thunderbolts over St Trond, Belgium. In September Hauptmann Eder was transfered to Erprobungskommando 262 (later Kommando Nowotny) where he was appointed Staffelkapitän of 1./Kdo Nowotny.On 19 November, following redesignation of Kommando Nowotny to JG 7, he commanded 9./JG 7 flying the Me 262 jet fighter in combat with considerable success. During the Ardennes offensive, Eder was to prove his efficacy with the Me 262 in the ground-attack role claiming 40 P-47s destroyed on the ground. He was awarded the Eichenlaub (Nr 663) on the 25 November 1944 for 60 victories. On 22 January he was shot down near Parchim by USAAF P-51s and P-38s while preparing to land. He broke both his legs and spent the rest of the war in hospital at Wismar and, later, Bad Weissee where he was captured by US Army troops.
Altogether he flew 572 combat missions of which 150 were with the Me 262. On the Eastern Front he scored 10 victories and on the Western Front 68, of which no less than 36 were four-engined bombers. With the Me 262 he scored at least 24 victories (most of them couldn`t be officially confirmed). He was the leading scorer against the four-engined bombers, although Eder himself was shot down 17 times, baling out 9 times. He was wounded 14 times

Kind regards
Ross
Old 12th February 2007, 15:45

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road
Re: Maj. Georg-Peter Eder-17 times shot down

I have been interested a long time in this person. Unfortunatelly have been never able to find some sufficient sources about details of his career...Why is it so, that one of the best viermottoters and highest ranking german aces does not have monography printed or some decent study published?? Wick, Molders, Graf, Galland, Hartman, Lipfert, Novotny etc has them...And it is even more currious because of a fact that he was one of the tops on FW 190 in Africa, if I am correct...

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"
Old 13th February 2007, 15:55
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

Define 'shot down'? If you have the opportunity to peruse a flew logbooks I think you'll find that almost every pilot had his share of engine failures, radiator failures, undercarriage failures, light damage from enemy groundfire but returned safely to base, etc., etc. - some caused by combat some not - do these incidents count as being 'shot down'?
Old 13th February 2007, 16:17
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting thread.

Ross, while Obermaier does list Eder with 36 viermots, the available claims lists we have list 28. While it certainly may not be complete, is there an additional source that might confirm 36?

Peter, where is the information about him being a top Fw 190 pilots in North Africa? As near as I can tell he never flew in North Africa, spending his career, after Russia, in western Europe. Are you sure you're not thinking of Buhligen or Rudorffer?
Old 13th February 2007, 16:20

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beaman View Post
Peter, where is the information about him being a top Fw 190 pilots in North Africa? As near as I can tell he never flew in North Africa, spending his career, after Russia, in western Europe. Are you sure you're not thinking of Bulligen or Rudorffer?
John, meia culpa...
I mistaken him for Rudorffer... SORRYYYY I am too much into 15USAAF these days, so it just happened

anyway, Eder or Rudorffer, or by you mentioned Bullingen - no decent bios??

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"
Old 13th February 2007, 16:32

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

well Volume 1 of a new JG 2 history is just around the corner - see my other post ...fortunately for us, Messrs. Mombeek & Roba have uncovered a stack of rare photos and personal accounts in the process ..and enlisted the participation of Rudorffer et al - which must be a first.
Old 18th February 2007, 13:41
Awaiting Confirmation

Flavio
Georg-Peter Eder Fw190

Thanks to Ed West, in the following link: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=190082370620
there is a photo with Georg Peter Eder and what seems Fw190 "1+l" from III./JG2.
Probably the photo was taken during November'42/February'43 period, during when Eder was assigned to 7/.JG2; maybe this Fw190 was his personal plane, even if at that time Eder was not 7./JG2 staffelkapitain (plane number "1").

Regards
Flavio
Old 18th February 2007, 20:23

kb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalkeEins View Post
well Volume 1 of a new JG 2 history is just around the corner - see my other post ...fortunately for us, Messrs. Mombeek & Roba have uncovered a stack of rare photos and personal accounts in the process ..and enlisted the participation of Rudorffer et al - which must be a first.
Looking forward to a detailed history. Timely, as there can't be many JG2 veterans left.
Old 20th February 2007, 03:03

Eagle0025

Hello all,

This is some good info on Eder. I know that he took over 6./JG26 when Addie Glunz went off on a temporary duty assignment. I do have one question. Can anyone tell me if Eder flew on 25 Aug 44? II./JG26 engaged 23 P-38s of the 474th FG that day near Beauvais, France and it appears most of II./JG26 was in on it. I have not been able to confirm if Eder was on this mission leading the 6th Staffel.

I do know that Lt. Gerhard Vogt (Kap.5./JG26) and Lt. Wilhelm Hofmann (Kap.8./JG26) were on this mission, so that leads me to believe that Eder was also.

While I'm at it, can anyone confirm that Lt. Hans Prager was Staffelkapitaen of 7./JG26 as of 25 Aug 44 and if he was on this mission also? Right now I am just guessing based on the best info I have.

Thanks in advance,

Gary Koch (474th FG Association Historian)