Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th September 2011, 11:41
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe im Focus, N°18 ; Photos 16 & 17, P.14. I./Sch.G 1 pictures.

The two pictures are captioned like this:
After heavy losses during the fighting before Moscow during the winter of 1941-42, In April 1942 I./Sch.G 1 returned to the Reich and underwent a period of rest and refitting at Werl.”
Following Holm’s page here all Sch.G 1 components – i.e. Stab, I & II Gr., 4 & 8 Sta. and Erg.Sta. - where created 13/1/1942. Therefore, I do not understand the sentence’s part “… before Moscow during the winter 41-42”…. Or is it just a short cut meaning II./LG2 (II Gr. and 4th Staffel excluded)?
Note: Both Stab Sch.G 1 and Stab I./Sch.G 1 were created from Stab II.(S)/LG 2!! (Sic)

The caption continue like that:
Having lost many aircraft in Russia, the Gruppe was issued new Bf109E-7s. Our photos show aircraft of Oblt. Heinz Frank’s 3.Staffel preparing for a training sortie on 26 April.”
E-7/U1 actually (Thanks to Holm’s site) and Fl.Pl. Werl where Stab and I.Gruppe where based in April.

Then:
“+M, The Bf 109 E-7 of Lt. Lehmann may be seen in both photos … The aircraft letter “M” is outlined in white”.
Hmmmm… It seems that it is the only Bf 109 E-7 in the row having an early style canopy…
Concerning the letter color: what was the color for each Staffel? Stab? “D” in the background seems to be Black which is normal for a 3.Staffel.

LAST:
It happens that a full batch of pictures where put in auction on eBay, long time ago. The lady with a black hat is well documented including her (girl) friend wearing a furr coat. (We can see both women on pic N°17); that – and background - does confirm that these eBay pictures have been taken the same day on same place – same unit of course; Werl, 26 April 1942; 3./Sch.G 1.
Here are the said eBay pictures (Still with my own wrong captions).
I’m sorry for who hasn’t the said review (LiF N°18) but I’m not going to put scans of the pictures I’m talking about here…

Tschüss, Franck.

VERY IMPORTANT: Don’t shout at me! I use to put E-7/B on those E-7 pictures when wearing a bomb and/or bomb rack; it’s just a question of classification and an easy way to get them back when necessary ... OK??

Last edited by ouidjat; 16th January 2012 at 19:21.
Old 17th September 2011, 18:52
Alter Hase

Re: Luftwaffe im Focus, N°18 ; Photos 16 & 17, P.14. I./Sch.G 1 pictures.

Hi,

Shame on me! I wrote: "D" in the background seems to be black which is normal for 3. Staffel ... Which is not of course...
Blue? Green or just outlined white?
Note that on one of the eBay picture caption I originaly wrote "Schwarzes I" why not "Balken" after all?, note, too, that the same plane is displaying a 87 octane triangle... E-7, really?

Waiting for comments and explanations. Thanks.

Franck.
Old 18th September 2011, 07:35
Alter Hase

CJE

Who is what appears to be a LW General on the left (5th photograph)?
Looks like "Happy Albert" (Kesselring).
Old 27th September 2011, 19:45
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Frank

The winter statement is made as it is, since the period in question does not cover any given calender year. Winter 1941-42 means general calender months December 1941 and Jan-Feb 1942. It is not made as a statement when a given a unit was formed or cancelled.

Chris
The officer looks much more like Sperrle to me, but the lack of any higher decorations make me think this is a some other general officer....

Cheers
Stig
Old 28th September 2011, 10:08
Alter Hase

Hello,

Thank you Stig for your comment.
What about the markings - Colours, emblems - of different Staffeln and Gruppen wore by Sch.G. 1 aircrafts?

Thank you, cheers.

Franck.