Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 1st June 2016, 03:58

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough
Re: Lt. Hans – Gunnar Culemann JG27

Anytime

Nick
Old 1st June 2016, 12:26
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Re Joyce, the unofficial 122 Sqn diary states for 17 Jun 44:

"Weather cleared in the late afternoon and at 1825 hrs Sqn Ldr Joyce took out 6 ac on an armed recce. No movement seen over target area but a train was bombed and 2 direct hits and 3 near misses were observed. Shortly afterwards the Section was bounced by 3 Me 109s; it split up and more e/a were seen in the Evreux area. One of these, an Me 109, was destroyed by Plt Off Thorne. Sqn Ldr Joyce did not return from this sortie and nothing is known of what happened to him..."
Old 1st June 2016, 12:47

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough

Thanks Chris,

Kind of spells it out a bit, hey....

Nick
Old 8th December 2016, 09:07
kiwijohn

I have much material related to Nipper Joyce, New Zealand 'Ace' with ten victories, five of these at night (also 3 probables and 10 damaged). He flew with 3 Squadron in the UK and 73 Squadron in North Africa (Hurricanes (9 victories) and Spitfires, OC 1943) then with 122 Squadron (Mustang (1 victory), OC 1944). He undertook 267 operations. He died 18 June 1944. His Mustang was seen by the villagers of Marville les Bois to be shot down. Abbe Gautier of the local Catholic Church wrote to Nipper's mother in late 1945: Ernest Joyce fell with his plane in flames about 5 o'clock in the evening. He found himself separated from his group of planes of which he formed part. A German airman took him by surprise and machine-gunned him. His plane fell at Marville-les-Bois. Immediately we went to his aid. The Germans returned but they did not remain long. After their departure we drew from the plane your dear boy . He was dead. On the Monday morning we had for him a beautiful ceremony in the church. The whole population of Marville and neighbourhood was there. I had with me all the priests of the neighbourhood. The church was filled. The casket was covered with numerous wreaths. The body was accompanied to the ceremony in beautiful procession, young men and girls on both sides of the casket carrying flowers. ... Fortunately the Germans never learned what we had done , otherwise, I, a priest, would have been led away to prison. We recovered the greater part of his belongings which were not burnt... Be assured that we often think of him in our prayers. Next week a mass will be celebrated for him. Equally I pray for you to ask God to give you courage for this mother of an airman who died for France...

A very poignant message from the people of Marville-les-Bois.

Coincidentally I also have a group of many items to the only other New Zealand airman listed as killed on 18 June 1944, F/O Frank Stout 547 Squadron RAF Coastal Command, shot down in a Liberator off the French coast near the Ile de Batz, Roscoff. Stout was even more dramatically buried and honoured by the local people, in defiance of a ban to do so by the Germans, as the Germans stood nearby with guns at the ready. This could very easily have ended in great bloodshed. The locals honour Frank Stout every year.

I hope this information is helpful.
Old 21st December 2016, 11:02
kiwijohn

I have much material related to NZ40770 Squadron Leader Ernest Leslie (Nipper) Joyce. This includes all letters sent to his mother, other letters he sent to family/fiancee/friends, log book, documents, over 100 photos etc. Amongst the letters is one from the Priest at Marville les Bois where he is buried, to his mother in 1945 after the end of the war.

The Priest indicated his Mustang was witnessed by locals as 122 Squadron aircraft flew nearby. Nipper Joyce separated from the others in his flight and had been attacking a train when he was surprised by a German fighter and shot down, flames seeming to break out around the cockpit. It seems, from the comments made, that the hits on the Mustang were concentrated on the cockpit and it appeared that Nipper would have been killed by the canon fire.

The Mustang crashed near the village but did not burn out or completely disintegrate. Local German troops noted what had happened and visited the crash site. It appears to have been left unguarded and the locals led by the Priest extricated Nipper from the aircraft. This would probably not have unusual in the circumstances of post D-Day landings. He was confirmed dead, personal belongings retrieved and kept for return to his family, and arrangements were made by the Priest for his burial. This was on 18 June 1944.

He was buried the following day, thousands attending the funeral, his coffin covered in flowers and attended by local youths and children. I have a photo of his flower-covered grave immediately after the funeral, taken by a local farmer's daughter and sent to his mother with the Priest's letter.

Coincidentally I have the medal group, log book, etc. of the only other RNZAF aircrew killed on 18 June, Flying Officer Frank Stout, pilot, 547 Squadron RAF Coastal Command. He was commemorated dramatically by the local French in defiance of the Germans at Roscoff, in Brittany. Thousands attended a service for him organised by the local Abbe. This was widely reported in the British press as 'an unidentified allied airman' and a few days later it was realised it was New Zealander Frank Stout.

At the time Joyce was shot down he had destroyed 10 aircraft (2 Bf 109s, 5 Ju 88s (all at night), 2 Italian CR 42s (these 9 when with 73 Squadron (Hurricanes) North Africa) and 1 He 111 (with 122 (Mustang) Squadron Frisian Islands). He had three aircraft probably destroyed (Bf 109s) and 8 damaged (5 Bf 110s, 2 Bf 109s, 1 Ju 88). Nine of the aircraft he destroyed were in the six months from late May - December 1942 flying the Hurricane IIc. He was a fighter ace and also a night fighter ace.

He had the pleasure of flying the Hurricane, Spitfire and Mustang in operations. He led 73 (Spitfire) Squadron 1943 and 122 (Mustang) Squadron 1944. He completed a total of 267 operations.

I hope this information is helpful.
Old 26th August 2019, 03:05

pietrzak is on a distinguished road

Nick, preparing a page for this chap, would like to hear more from you if at all possible?
Many thanks.
Kelvin at Aircrew Remembered
Old 28th August 2019, 13:18

Hi Kelvin,

How can I help?

Nick