Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 9th October 2009, 15:49

Tony Kearns
Re: FW200 F8+OK lost 22 October 1940

Hi all,
I agree with my good friend and colleague Martin. It would indeed be a help if Robert or somebody could let us have the off time for the Condor from Bordeaux. It would also be of considerable assistance to us if a take off time for a Zenit sortie from Brest was also available....Wekusta 2 or 51.
Brian could tell us the identity of the eyewitness to the demise of the German aircraft mentioned in your initial posting.
regards
Tony K
Old 9th October 2009, 16:08
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi Tony

The following is an extract from Parliamentary Debates - http://historical-debates.oireachtas

"In October, the Kerry Head was sunk after being attacked by an aircraft off Cape Clear, County Cork. Her destruction, with the loss of 12 crew, was watched by several people on Clear Island although to this day the nationality of the plane that attacked her is unknown. An eyewitness said long after the war that a German plane dropped a stick of bombs on the vessel at around two o'clock in the afternoon, that the Kerry Head exploded in a sheet of flame and that the blast from the explosion brought down the aircraft which crashed in the sea. A trawler was moored off Cape Clear but did not have sufficient fuel to reach the scene of the attack. An Irish launch was only taken from Berehaven at 8 o'clock in the evening because the authorities were not at first convinced that there had been a sinking. Some of those who watched the attack from Clear Island claimed later that they saw survivors clinging to wreckage after the explosion."

Cheers
Brian
Old 9th October 2009, 16:37

Tony Kearns

Thanks Brian for that.
I think that it is important to note "an eyewitness said long after the war". Martin, I am sure will confirm the number of BUM STEERS we get from stories being told and retold by so many so called witnesses. I have not been able to find an actual witness although I have been to Cape Clear Island many times, but on the other hand I have been told "great stories"
Incidentally there was no debris or wreckage or bodies washed ashore following the sinking and it was not for some days later that it was realised that the Kerry Head was missing.
Best wishes
Tony K
Old 9th October 2009, 18:03
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Thanks Tony

So I guess the jury is still out on this one.

Cheers
Brian
Old 9th October 2009, 20:07
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Thanks Martin for the update! Appreciated
Cheers
Stig
Old 9th October 2009, 23:13

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hallo to all,

Glad to have been of some assistance, but I am learning from this thread as well ! Keep it up. Regards and thanks.

Martin.
Old 10th October 2009, 12:21
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Hi, all

Stig - you must appreciate the fact that a loss record does not necessary mean that an aircraft was lost for eternity. Even 100% losses will not mean that - as for example a bellylanded aircraft in enemy territory is regarded and registered as a 100% loss, the front shift, the aircraft is salvaged - and lost again - and again.

In this particular case - FW 200 WNr 0025, it was damaged 55% at Orleans, due to Rollschaden. Probably crashed into something on the runway or whatever, not unlikely that a photo exist. Was it 'lost for ever'? No - this airframe reappears with a 15% loss noted at Saporoshje in January 1943. What ultimately happened to it? I do not know, probably finally lost sometime during 1944.

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 10th October 2009, 16:39
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Thanks Andreas

Yes I am aware of that, and Nowarra's book has that second damage listed as well of 0025. I believe there has been some kind of glitch in the manuscript of his book, and the details for the loss of 0024 is missing and the initial details for 0025 ended up for 0024.

Phoenix rising from the ashes. It is rare but in the case of Luftwaffe at least is a fact....

Cheers
Stig