Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th June 2008, 14:31

Location: North of Hadrians Wall, still part of the Great Britain
Yellow 6 is on a distinguished road
Re: Loss of 3 Hurricanes of 85 Sqn 20 May 1940

Laurent

From CWGC regarding Flight Lieutenant Peacock:

"Son of T. C. H. Peacock, and of Kathleen S. Peacock, of Chalvington, Sussex. Double Blue, Oxford; Captain of Richmond Rugby Football Club; Barrister-at-Law (Middle Temple)".
Old 5th June 2008, 16:47
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Yellow 6

My question was regarding S/L Peacock and nothing else. My source regarding his bale out on the 19th is our eminent Peter Cornwell and the excellent The Battle of France then and now. My question remains the same. If someone gets posted on the 20th from 601 Sq to 85 Sq, why is he then listed with 85 Sq on the 19th, the day be baled out?
In your mail you tend to confirm that Peacock arrived to the 85th on the 20th, so how can he bale out from one of the units aeroplanes on the 19th?
If someone says he arrived on the date of the 20th, he cant be there on the 19th as well could he, unless there is something fishy with these postings...

Cheers
Stig
Old 6th June 2008, 13:05

Location: North of Hadrians Wall, still part of the Great Britain
Yellow 6 is on a distinguished road

Stig,

I will respond to a point made previously that was intended to address your question; the account in Fighter Squadron at War does in fact contradict itself.

To quote from the book “20/5/40 Squadron Leader Peacock reported to take over command from Squadron Leader Oliver”

“Squadron Leader Peacock, Pilot Officer Burton and Pilot Officer Shrewsbury failed to return from offensive patrols and ground straffing”

“Moreover the Squadron had lost its new CO the day after he arrived”

The most logical conclusion either of us can reach based on the last statement is that he did arrive on the 19th May and hence underlines my other point that we need to cross examine sources.

The fact that other posts have been seeking more information regarding the events and people involved lead me to respond on other aspects surrounding events on the days in question.

Please read post # 8 from Peter!!

Docemus

Last edited by Yellow 6; 6th June 2008 at 13:14. Reason: Additional comment
Old 19th July 2008, 19:14

King Cobra is on a distinguished road

To all those who have replied to my original question, many thanks. Sorry I have been so late in responding. I am the editor of the 85 Association magazine, HEXAGON, and am always searching for suitable articles. Michael Peacock is of prime interest. I understand he flew to France on 17 May in a Hurricane to take command of 85 (this could have been the Tangmere station flight connection) but the aircraft went u/s en route. His journey was completed by road and he arrived at Merville late, shortly before his last sortie on 20 May. Once again thanks to you all. KC
Old 19th July 2008, 19:34
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Well KC

If he flew to France on the 17th and didn't arrive until the 20th, it begs the question what he was doing bailing out on the 19th?

The long transit period would in itself explain the discrepancies but not his bailing out on the 19th. Possibly the records are not entirely accurate. What about he arrived already on the 19th, was shot down, returned to unit, was shot down again and died on the 20th?

We are talking semantics here, I guess out of historical interest, but don't forget what a life they had back in May 1940...

Cheers
Stig
Old 7th July 2011, 10:00

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

Photos have now emerged that indicate P3426 was NOT the aircraft flown by SHREWSBURY of No.85 Squadron when lost on 20 May 1940 as I have recorded in BoFrT&N.
Old 7th July 2011, 10:12
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road

Interesting stuff - and a further indication (if any were needed!) of the hopeless muddle of 85 Squadron losses and aircraft during that period.
Old 7th July 2011, 14:28

markjsheppard is an unknown quantity at this point

I did a lot of research on Hurricane P3351 in the 90's when she was being restored.

The record card indicates she joined 73 Sqn on 18th June 1940.

Her first flight with 73 Sqn was on 3rd June when she was picked up as a spare aircraft. (From log book).

The record card was updated on 18th when she returned from France with the unit. 73 Sqn were going through Hurricanes at a rate of notes and a number were listed on the record card as lost - France May 1940.

So P3351 undertook two weeks of operations with 73 Sqn in France even before she was officially with the unit.

Everything about the RAF and France 1940 is a nightmare to research.

Just confirming the above and that P3351 was marked up as 'K' took 5 years!

Regards

Mark