Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th October 2009, 22:19

yogybär is on a distinguished road
Airfield Svoboda?

Stab,I., III./ZG 2 were there from 7-8'42
There are 2 places which would fit:
Is it ca. 20km north of Kursk or ca. 100km W of Kursk?

Thanks!
Old 9th October 2009, 00:44
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Airfield Svoboda?

1. Swoboda (e. Svoboda) - C Russia (35 km NNE Kursk); Ffp.
2. Swoboda (e. Svoboda) - S Russia (80 km SSE Voronezh); Lp.

On 2 July 1942, 9./ZG 2 was operating from Svoboda/SSE of Voronezh, according to the Gen.Qu. Verlustmeldungen. Therefore, it is Nr. 2, above, which was a Landeplatz.

Old 9th October 2009, 06:36
Alter Hase

Evgeny Velichko is on a distinguished road

Hi gents!

Svoboda (in WW II times it had a name Liski), Voronezh region, could not be a base for I./ZG2 because it was Held by Soviet Army still in july 1942. I was searching this question before with russian researchers.

Me and Sergey Samodurov got a final desicion that a base of I./ZG2 was Svoboda in Kursk area.
Old 12th October 2009, 20:57

Larry, Evgeny, thanks for your answers!

Even today, "Lisky" is called Lisky in Google Earth and seem like a rather big city. So it is astonishing that it is only a "Lp" which I guess means Landeplatz (landing ground).

The "Kursk Svoboda" has a railway station, so it is a very reasonable place for an airfield.

PS: Acc. to ww2.dk, the whole ZG1 was based there some time in summer '42.
PPS: I have indeed found another Svoboda at 47°11'01"N, 40°39'15"E which is ca. 40km east of Rostov na Donu. But it is in the middle of nowhere .
Old 13th October 2009, 00:59
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Hi Jörg,

"Svoboda" is a popular name, although not as popular as "Ivanskoye" or Nikolskoye". I uploaded my CD-ROM Vector Globe World Atlas by Cartografx and keyed in "Svoboda" and found 29 inhabited places by that name with populations of 600 or more in Russia, one stream by that name in Russia, and two towns/villages named Svoboda in Ukraine. Vector Globe lists over 3,000,000 places so in Russia, especially, it gives so many "hits" for the popular names that the user (me) can get confused. It then becomes necessary to display the location of each one to try and decide the one of interest.

Luckily, I also have a wartime Luftwaffe Gazetteer of airfields in the Soviet Union and their classification as well as British Air Ministry A.I.2.(b) directories of USSR wartime airfields. All three of these resources used together makes the task of locating airfields much, much easier.

Larry
Old 13th October 2009, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry deZeng View Post
a wartime Luftwaffe Gazetteer of airfields in the Soviet Union and their classification
Now that's what I call a really interesting source!
Thanks for having shared the Svoboda.