Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 25th May 2006, 23:58

Mustang51 is on a distinguished road
Smile Ki-45 Units and losses, 16 december 1943, Lautem, Timor

On 16 December 1943 six RAAF Beaufighters attacked the Genmei Maru in Lautem roadstead. Sqn Ldr Gordon attacked and shot down a "chocolate and bright green" Ki-45 and made another head on attack on a second Ki-45 witnessing "pieces fly off the wings". These aircraft were described as "coming from Fuiloro (?). Does anyone have any info regarding the unit/s that opersated the KI-45s involved in this action, their base/s and if the second Ki-45 attacked by Gordon crashed or survived......... wish I could find more books on this area of operations from the Japanese side.
Old 26th May 2006, 07:10

Nicholas is on a distinguished road
Re: Ki-45 Units and losses, 16 december 1943, Lautem, Timor

5th Sentai from Malang, Java with small detachments scattered widely from Timor to Western New Guinea.
Old 26th May 2006, 18:21

Artist is on a distinguished road

If you don't already have it buy 'Japanes Army Air Force Units and their Aces 1931-1945 '' Well worth the expense. (around $50.)The book has JAAF lose listings but Dec 16 1943 comes up with no loses. Not to say thier was none. Bob
Old 28th May 2006, 22:21

Smile Re: Ki-45 Units and losses, 16 december 1943, Lautem, Timor

Bob,

I have been trying to locate a copy of "Japanese Army Fighter Units and their Aces 1931 -1945" as well as "Japanese Naval Aces and Fighter Units of WWII" both by Hata and Izawa but without any success. I was given the title of another opublicvation "Japanese Air Forces in WWII" by Arms and Armour Press together with its ISBN no but despite a search with servral sources (including the Australian War Memorial's extensive library) these do not appear anywhere including ABE books search engine....... maybe I am just douinging something wrong.

Ref the Ki-45 losses..... perhaps they are detailed as having occurred on the 17th rather than 16th as they were written on the following day?
Still searching for this data for another specific RAAF/JAAF project..... as well as the data on the JNAF floatplanes and the RAAF Hudson on another thread.

Thanks

Pete
Old 28th May 2006, 22:24

Cool Re: Ki-45 Units and losses, 16 december 1943, Lautem, Timor

Bob,

Perhaps the entries were made on 17th and not 16th and are listed under that day? I have tried to obtain copies of the JNAF and JAAF publications by Hata and Izawa but wiithout luck. These and "Japanese Air Forces in WWII" do not come up after extensive searches (including ABE Books and the Australian War Memorial Library) and I have had a number of people tell me that these are the best available publications. So far I am out of luck trying to get them

Thanks

Pete
Old 28th May 2006, 22:26

Guys,

The double reply is what happens when the screen says that the server ailed to respond.... I love computers.....
Old 28th May 2006, 23:51

Artist is on a distinguished road

Hi Pete, Go to aeroplanebooks.com they are showing 4 in stock.(54.95 + shipping) At first glance the book looks a little dissapionting because of its size. But when you open it you will see it is money well spent.Full of info and photos. Bob
Old 31st May 2006, 06:38

Talking Re: Ki-45 Units and losses, 16 december 1943, Lautem, Timor

Bob,

I have been onto that site and ordered. Thanks for the info............ now all that I have to do is obtain copies of "Japanese Naval Aces and Fighter Units of WWII" and "Japanese Air Forces in WWI - The Organisation of the Japanese Army and Naval Air Forces"

Have also ordered a manuscript dealing with Japanese unit markings. There is a good photograph taken at close range by the observer on Gordon's Beaufighter on a previous mission. It shows a Nick he has just hit that is going down in flames and the observer's photo shows the detail of the fin marking (looks like a stylised version of the international Radiation symbol). There does not seem to be very much out there regarding Japanese aircraft in the North West area from Australia. The histories etc are available for the Allied forces but trying to find out about the Japanese is a different kettle of fish - especially when you are after something very specific.

Still looking for details on the Japanese floatplane Units in the Aru Islands....

Cheers

Pete
Old 31st May 2006, 08:42
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

If you go to addall.com, and search in the used books section, using Hata Izawa as the author and nothing else you will get about 130 listings; many of these are duplicates of course, since many dealers list their books with more than one listing service (ABEBooks, Alibris, biblio, etc.). If you click on the book it should take you to the website of the listing service. There are at least 50 entries for each book.

If you then search on "Japanese Air Force in World War" you should find over 30 entries, ranging in price from $15 to $150 (some dealers only need to sell a few books to make a profit ... )

Frank.
Old 1st June 2006, 05:24

Talking Re: Ki-45 Units and losses, 16 december 1943, Lautem, Timor

Frank you are a genius..... the books are winging their way to me as I write this. Had never heard of that site before and it have never emerged during any of my searches.