Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th June 2023, 09:21

TigerTimon is on a distinguished road
Y-control Nachtjagd June 1943

Good morning, I have question about Y-control.

Following an intruder patrol on the night of 14-15 June,
"W/Cdr Tomalin states that during the whole of the patrol while listening out on Channel D until the aircraft was shot down over Deelen at 01.44 hours he heard the typical R.D.F. signal. The intruder was patrolling about a mile southeast of the airfield when the aircraft was shot down and he believes it was mistaken for him and consequently considers it was an enemy fighter which was destroyed, and is claimed for the Squadron."
(ORB 605 Squadron)

In reality, this shoot-down concerns Lancaster R5551 which was shot down by Oblt August Geiger.

The crash site lies roughly only 1200 metres from Teerose I at Terlet, which was a radio station utilising the Y-Verfahren.

My question is: what did exactly happen? Did Geiger fly under Y-control? Did the RDF signal get switched off by the Germans because of fear of discovery?
Did the signal maybe cut due to falling bombs or wreckage parts?

Kind regards, Timon
Old 16th June 2023, 09:32

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough
Re: Y-control Nachtjagd June 1943

Hello Timon,

That's an easy question. If you had looked at the Abschussliste of the III./NJG 1, the unit of August Geiger, you would have seen that he obtained this nocturnal victory with the assistance of Oblt. Drefkorn, Jägerleitoffizier of radarstation 4D (Toldijk)

Teerose was not involved...

Best regards, good weekend! Marcel