Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12th May 2013, 01:33

Michael Ullmann is on a distinguished road
RLM 81/82 – More secrets unveiled

Regarding my previous posting dealing with my discovery that RLM 83 had indeed a darkblue color some questions about RLM 81/82 appeared. I would like to share the other breathtaking discovery I made. Read the text carefully:
Test order E2-45/19 (Flight verification of camouflage „Land“)
Report June 1943: The to darken RLM 70/71 will be replaced with color 281 H (olivgreen) and B657 (brightgreen). After 9 month of environmental testing they are very lightresistant.
Report August 1943: The new colors RLM 81 and 82 (brown tint) introduced
Report October 1943: The exposure of the colors (also small production batches) after finishing the summer sun period showing no discoloration.
Report December 1943: RLM 81 and 82 introduced. Lightresistant without objection
Report February 1944: RLM 81 and 82 accordingly report 2138/43 dated 02. July 1943 introduced. Lightresistant, including serial production, without objection.

The question is where are we now?
  • First is: Now we knew the real reason of the need of the new camouflage colors RLM 81/82. It is not raw material shortages, is not better ground camouflage. The reason is that RLM 70/71 when longer used has the tendency to darken that the camouflage effect was lost.
  • The new colors were introduced much earlier than previously thought (October 1943, small production batches).
  • There must a more than a handful aircraft with the new camouflage in Travemünde. The reports described a Do 217 coded RO+GK.
  • It is now very possible that the greens used for JG 54 aircraft in 1942 and 1943 are test paint sample of RLM 81/82 for troop trail.
  • Why it needs so long till summer 1944 that RLM 81/82 was used on mass production fighters? The answer is simple: The manufactory has huge stocks of the “old” paint.
  • Why we can see RLM 81 brown oliv / darkgreen camouflages? This is a RLM 81/71 camouflage! I am pretty sure that a today still undiscovered order exist that allows, if the stock of paints was exhausted to replace the not available paint with the old paint. This allows the manufactory to paint the fighter aircraft in RLM 81/75 or 71 and allows 70 or 74/82 camouflage variation.
By the way: Attached you will find a scan of one page of my November 1943 monthly report. This is to prevent that someone had the idea to post that he missed the evidences of what I wrote. Believe it or not: The history of RLM 81/82/83 must be rewritten.
And please keep in mind I am a German native and I have access to all the files in Germany and, much more important, I can read the text of such documents and understand the content properly.
Looking forward to read all the posts and hone your skills in Germany language