Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 21st April 2009, 19:39
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road
Exotic Fi 156

Hello,

There is a very interesting Fi 156 at BattleGroundRelics with several unusual features:

• There is something that looks like an aerial underneath the right wing at the wing root and an unidentified tubing structure --> does anybody know what this was?
  • Auxiliary fuel tank (note the oil stains on it)
  • Two unidentified rectangular tubes on the left and right side just underneath the exhaust tubes pointing outwards
  • The landing gear legs appear to have two white stripes (top and bottom of the legs)

Does anybody recognize the version and what the purpose of the rectangular tubes / "aerial" was?

Regards
Roger Gaemperle
Old 21st April 2009, 20:35
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Re: Exotic Fi 156

Also, the fact that the Werknummer is painted on the fin is a rather rare occurrence. Is it decipherable?
Old 21st April 2009, 21:07
Alter Hase

You are right! I can't decipher it but maybe the owner of the photo can tell if the number is readable on the original photo.
Old 22nd April 2009, 18:51
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think those are oil stains on the auxiliary fuel tank but reflections. This indicates some type of plexi-glas or similar nose, perhaps for a camera.

Ed
Old 22nd April 2009, 19:45
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Hi Roger

Since I am uncertain what it is exactly you mean, my comments may be way off the hill...

To me what is underneath the right wing which looks like a tubestructure is part of the strut and is connected both to the top wing and the strut itself. What looks like a rod pointing downwards is as far as can see on every Storch. A close up shows that it is graded and my guess is that it measured the fuel status in the wing. As far as I can judge it is also underneath the left wing.

The Fi 156 carried many different types and sizes of tanks underneath its belly and from the photos I have of the type actually carrying tanks (not that usual it seems), they vary a lot, but none looks like the one on your photo. Looks like Ed is right when he says it looks like its "glazed". No suggestions though...

Cheers
Stig
PS: Nice shot!
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:14

stephen f. polyak is on a distinguished road

Nice photo Roger! :-)

Short vertical object ("aerial") beneath the wing is in fact a graduated tube (glass) with slotted metal protective sleeve to provide visual indication of wing-tank fuel quantity to the pilot.

I suspect that the tank-like object beneath the fuselage is, just that, a (fuel) tank or maybe a container. It is unnecessarily big for a camera, and to put a transparent nose immediately aft and below the oil cooler as well as engine is asking for frequent staining; that makes for terrible photos. Moreover, if a camera, the pointing direction would favor downward, not ahead or upward. Why make the entire dome transparent? Could the dome, perhaps removable, be of a different material or painted a different color, or just oil-stained? Thus, the image we see.

Most interesting to me are the two rectangular outward-rearward extensions beneath the cowing. On a typical Fi 156, that is where the engine exhaust discharges. Perhaps these keep the exhaust heat/smoke/flame off the tank.
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:32
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Good points regarding the camera idea. However, there was a recent discussion of a small ROBOT camera installation in the nose of a Bf 110, which I had not seen before.

Ed
Old 22nd April 2009, 21:12
Alter Hase

Dear all,

Thanks for your interesting comments! I have to admit that I don't know the Fi 156 that well. With "aerial" I meant what turns out to be the graduated tube. I haven't noticed this on other Fi 156 before but probably just because I haven't studied this aircraft in such detail.

I knew that the rectangular tubes are quite unusual and I think they are indeed related to the container which I still think is a fuel tank. I went through my old lwcollectibles site and found 3 more photos of Fi 156 with fuel tanks:

1st one
2nd one
3rd one

The one in the 1st photo looks very much like the one on the photo at www.battlegroundrelics.com

Cheers,
Roger
Old 22nd April 2009, 21:37
Alter Hase

Kutscha

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen f. polyak View Post
Most interesting to me are the two rectangular outward-rearward extensions beneath the cowing. On a typical Fi 156, that is where the engine exhaust discharges. Perhaps these keep the exhaust heat/smoke/flame off the tank.
Stephan you can find those on other Fi156s.

http://www.airmuseumsuk.org/museum/I...6%20Storch.htm
Old 22nd April 2009, 22:09

Sergio Luis dos Santos

The "squared tubes" looks to me a modified exhaust system. See Roger´s photo 3 and follow the exhaust tube on engine. Also notice the exhaust stain on the fuel tanks.