Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 3rd October 2020, 14:48

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: eBay: Allied intrest

Hi Ed,

Thanks for finding those images (1-3) of three different Blenheims, all new to me. I cannot fully identify any of them unfortunately, but the first is an 18 Squadron aircraft 'WV-E' or 'F'. The second could be 'OM-B' of 107 Squadron. Concerning the third I have no clue.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.
Old 3rd October 2020, 15:55

Bertrand H is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Ed for sharing.

Martin

#2 is OM*B-R3606 : Same a/c with same holes and painting for the
B.

Attachment 19833

Bertrand

Last edited by Bertrand H; 27th March 2021 at 07:43.
Old 3rd October 2020, 17:29
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Bertrand

I am not that certain
R3606 crashed 10 July 1940 in an open field and looks very intact.
The one referred to now, has crashed, been abandoned or dragged into some bushy forrested area.
Seller also claims it is 1941 and at Boulogne, possibly meaning the outskirts of Paris (which does not fit the crash place of R3606 at Amiens.

I know, I know, E-bay seller.....but still? Can't be all guesswork, could it?

Cheers
Stig
Old 3rd October 2020, 19:25
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

You're welcome gents. I've learned a lot here.

Best,
Ed
Old 4th October 2020, 06:59

Faenor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik View Post
Bertrand

I am not that certain
R3606 crashed 10 July 1940 in an open field and looks very intact.
The one referred to now, has crashed, been abandoned or dragged into some bushy forrested area.
Seller also claims it is 1941 and at Boulogne, possibly meaning the outskirts of Paris (which does not fit the crash place of R3606 at Amiens.

I know, I know, E-bay seller.....but still? Can't be all guesswork, could it?

Cheers
Stig
Hi Stig and Bertrand,

another photo from same seller:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Orig-Foto-en...cAAOSwoQ5fd4JQ

Maybe same place and some scrapy yard....?

Faenor
Old 4th October 2020, 10:02

Tom Willis is on a distinguished road

Clearly Blenheim IV - R3606 has been moved from it's original resting place to either the outskirts of the existing landing field or to another location. But if to another location why?
The usual practice was for the recovery units (Bergebattalions) to recover enemy aircraft for either further examination or scrapping etc. Any large collections of Allied enemy equipment were put into temporary Beute-Sammlung (Collection points) to see what was to be salvaged - aircraft were usually dealt with at the various airfields where they were to be initially located at and dealt with there en-masse. Odd aircraft could be found at the Collection points but this was rare.
These photos of odd Blenheim wrecks appear to be from one perhaps the same location and moved to the edges of open fields - this was sometimes done if the Germans wanted this as a new or a dummy-airfield with existing usually French aircraft used as decoys. If the Germans wanted to use a particular piece of land (possibly ex French or an Allied landing ground for themselves then any wrecks would be shipped to the edges of the field and could be left there for some time. Sorry I cannot comment on whether the locxations are at Amiens or Bolougne.
Old 4th October 2020, 20:29
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

If a dummy airfield was set up, crashed Allied aircraft in the open might have aroused suspicion. Normally, such aircraft were recovered, after examination and desired parts removed, and then taken to collection points. This may have been a case where no one was available to recover the aircraft before the land was needed for a dummy airfield. The hidden aircraft could then be taken away at the earliest opportunity.

Ed
Old 5th October 2020, 07:17

Bertrand H is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: eBay: Allied intrest

#1287 :
Thank you very much Tom for this detailed analysis and for confirming that it is indeed the same aircraft ; what wrote Ed with anybdy was available to recover the aircraft before the land was needed for a dummy airfield could also why this Blenheim is still here. On another photo (old ebay) of the R3606 we have in a background some wood.
Have the same wreck with the same letter "B" painted on the edge of the cockade, two identical holes could obviously only be the same Blenheim ....

Bertrand