Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 27th June 2023, 19:01

Kaczmarek is on a distinguished road
Re: JG 2 The Final Chapter

According to Eric a german edition will not be released before 2024.

René
Old 1st July 2023, 09:42

Erik Mombeeck is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Thank you for this thread and your interest in the final volume of a chronicle that has kept me busy for decades. It has given me enormous pleasure to talk to these veterans, which has enabled me to put the human aspect before figures and statistics in all my books.

Well, René, my translator and, above all, friend of more than 30 years, Hans Berger, former Stk. of JG 1, will be a hundred years old next October. Although he's doing well, I can't see myself burdening him again with a long translation (there's a lot of text again in this latest volume). So I'd rather not talk too much about a German version at this stage.

As for Jukka's kind words ("disastrous marketing"), I must confess that I don't care about marketing. I wrote these books for pleasure and not to gain anything from them. I'm happy to produce them first in my mother language because I love writing and reading in French. And if Hans translated them into German, it was so that the veterans and families I contacted could read the results of my lengthy research: the description of a tragic time and a tragic circumstance that cost so many young and promising lives.

So I have no plan of producing an English version of this chronicle. In any case, very few members of this forum purchased the first volume in English and it seems to me that those who wish to deepen their knowledge of the Luftwaffe history cannot afford to miss out on learning German.

As I write in the epilogue to this latest volume, I've done what I could with what little I had and I'll be relieved to discover my latest 'big book' even though I'll probably never read it.

Best regards
Erik
Old 1st July 2023, 11:15
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Erik, it's no wonder that very few bought the English edition if the marketing is "don't care about". No private business effort survives today without marketing.
Old 1st July 2023, 13:19

NoNo01 is on a distinguished road

Erik.

Bad news for us german speakers.
I bought almost every book of yours, in german and English.
It would be a pity if I miss out on the last volume of JG 2 History. (In german)

But hope dies last, so let’s see …

Schoene Gruesze

Norbert
Old 1st July 2023, 18:14
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Erik,

Humble words those of yours which enhance further the amazing and incredible Historical work you have done during the years, to preserve the history of some of the most famous Jagdgeschwadern of the Luftwaffe. It is really inspiring.

I humbly "take my hat" and congratulate you. Keep going and a big hug from those Souths Lands.

Adriano
Old 1st July 2023, 19:55
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
Erik, it's no wonder that very few bought the English edition if the marketing is "don't care about". No private business effort survives today without marketing.
Jukka,

I think Erik's reasoning was clear. There are too many self-published authors out there who are producing books that are not worth reading.
In this case, the hallmarks are there. Decades of research and perseverance. Google translate can translate any language at no cost.
Old 1st July 2023, 20:52

leonventer is on a distinguished road

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your post -- very enlightening. I greatly appreciate all the research and writing you've done, and I admire the spirit in which you did it. Performing such a monumental labor of love is something the Jukkas of this world will never understand, so you needn't pay them any mind.

I have the German and English editions of every one of your publications, so I'm fervently hoping that the final JG 2 volume will eventually be published in German, but if not, I'll gladly get the French edition. (Just a thought: If Herr Berger is no longer able to do the translation, could someone like Neil Page do it instead?)

Thanks again and best wishes,
Leon Venter
Old 3rd July 2023, 15:55
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
Jukka,

I think Erik's reasoning was clear. There are too many self-published authors out there who are producing books that are not worth reading.
In this case, the hallmarks are there. Decades of research and perseverance. Google translate can translate any language at no cost.
You have to be joking! Google translate? 🤣🤣🤣 The quality of that is appalling (not even a short YouTube commentary is correctly translated) and if someone seriously suggests that one first should pay premium money for a book and then use effing Google translate to actually read it should have his head examined. That whole process is no longer reading, it is travesty.
Old 5th July 2023, 05:15

taitbb is on a distinguished road

Thank you Erik. Still hopeful, but I understand. Thank you for the all the works to date regardless of the language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Mombeeck View Post
Hello,

Thank you for this thread and your interest in the final volume of a chronicle that has kept me busy for decades. It has given me enormous pleasure to talk to these veterans, which has enabled me to put the human aspect before figures and statistics in all my books.

Well, René, my translator and, above all, friend of more than 30 years, Hans Berger, former Stk. of JG 1, will be a hundred years old next October. Although he's doing well, I can't see myself burdening him again with a long translation (there's a lot of text again in this latest volume). So I'd rather not talk too much about a German version at this stage.

As for Jukka's kind words ("disastrous marketing"), I must confess that I don't care about marketing. I wrote these books for pleasure and not to gain anything from them. I'm happy to produce them first in my mother language because I love writing and reading in French. And if Hans translated them into German, it was so that the veterans and families I contacted could read the results of my lengthy research: the description of a tragic time and a tragic circumstance that cost so many young and promising lives.

So I have no plan of producing an English version of this chronicle. In any case, very few members of this forum purchased the first volume in English and it seems to me that those who wish to deepen their knowledge of the Luftwaffe history cannot afford to miss out on learning German.

As I write in the epilogue to this latest volume, I've done what I could with what little I had and I'll be relieved to discover my latest 'big book' even though I'll probably never read it.

Best regards
Erik
Old 12th July 2023, 14:05

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road

Jukka, can you please publish here list of your books written, published in Finish or multilanguage please?

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"