Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th May 2008, 14:47

mjbollinger is on a distinguished road
EBC Convoy Attacks June 1944

Hi,

Convoy EBC-8 was attacked at 0445 on 13 June 1944, with HMS Boadicea sunk at 50-26N 02-50W. Convoy EBC-14 was attacked at 2340 on 18 June 1944 with SS Albert C. Field sunk at 50-28N 01-46W. In both cases, torpedoes from Ju 88 have most often been cited as the cause, though there are other scenarios as well.

Can anyone verify from the Luftwaffe side that Ju 88 or other torpedo bombers were operating in that area at that time? Did anyone take credit for these sinkings. (Yes, I know that III./KG 100 has at times been given credit for HMS Boadicea.)

Thanks!

MB
Old 6th May 2008, 21:39
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: EBC Convoy Attacks June 1944

For torpedo attacks at this time you're looking at KG 26 and elements II./KG 77.
Old 7th May 2008, 00:58

Doug Stankey will become famous soon enough

According to our notes, HMS Boadicea was claimed sunk by III./K.G. 100 apparently by conventional bombs from Do 217s.
Old 7th May 2008, 01:07

mjbollinger is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much, Doug. I just got Volume I of your book yesterday and will get Volume II in a few days. I'm very impressed by your work. Would it be possible for me to contact you offline with a few questions?

Yes, III./KG 100 does claim credit for the sinking of Boadicea and this is affirmed by Balke, and it may in fact be the case. I'm surprised, however, that they would be operating so close to the UK coast in June 1944 given all of the air cover. Moreover, III./KG 100 claims credit for a number of ships hit and sunk that in fact weren't (e.g., Bulolo), so I don't consider their claim decisive until I fully rule out the other scenarios.

As for conventional weapons, that would seem very odd indeed given the mission of III./KG 100 and very much out of character for that time -- but you never know. I'm curious as to the source of that information.

By the way, the investigation into the sinking found no fault with the captain of Boadicea, suggesting the lone German aircraft had hidden within a formation of Beaufighters, abetted by the similarity of appearance of a Ju 88 to the Beaufighter at night. Hence the recurring thoughts of a torpedo attack. On the other hand, a stand-off launch of a Hs 293 might achieve the same result with similar characteristics.

Marty
Old 14th March 2010, 00:38

Mike Jackson is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: EBC Convoy Attacks June 1944

I have a copy of the transcript taken during the Findings of the Board of Inquiry into the sinking of HMS Boadicea that took place on the 24/06/1944. Statements from the 12 surviving crew members confirm that the Boadicea was sunk by a single torpedo striking her forward magazine. The lone JU88 dropped two torpedoes the second detonated in the wake of the Boadicea.

Further information available upon request.

I would be interested in any information that is available about JU88 squadrons/operations or specific aircraft that were operating at the time as I am compiling the history of this particular ship.

Many thanks.

Mike
Old 8th January 2019, 00:34
Popeye1975

Hi

Its possible my father may have been aboard HMS Boadicea at the time of this attack
Old 1st July 2020, 20:15

chesterflyer is on a distinguished road

There must be German records recording which squadron the aircraft came from that attacked the Boudicea, any idea where I could find these? Im asking for a friend whose grandfather was killed in this attack
Old 1st July 2020, 20:38

chesterflyer is on a distinguished road
The Sinking of HMS Boadicea

Hi guys I'm trying to identify the Luftwaffe Squadron and ultimately the aircraft and crew which torpedoed HMS Boadicea on June the 13th 1944 off Portland Bill.

I have a friend whose grandfather was one of the men lost that day as there were only 12 survivors. Anyone aware of any German websites where this information may be found or any other info would be very useful?

Last edited by chesterflyer; 1st July 2020 at 22:15.
Old 1st July 2020, 20:55
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

I have just written about this-the unit, if it was by a guided bomb, was III./KG 100. PM me if you wish
Old 1st July 2020, 20:56
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: The Sinking of HMS Boudicea

See my answer to your other posting