Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th March 2009, 01:29

Zack Magnusson is on a distinguished road
FW-190's at US captured airfield (photo)

Gentlemen,
See my post on the army air forces site: http://forum.armyairforces.com/509th...o-m169765.aspx.

Basically,I have a photo from my grandfather's collection that features several FW-190's at an airfield with P-47's on the ground also. I've identified one of the P-47's as a 509th Fighter Squadron, 405th Fighter Group aircraft. I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about the German aircraft in the photo or the identity of the field at which it was taken.

Thanks.
Old 30th March 2009, 07:18
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road
Re: FW-190's at US captured airfield (photo)

Hi Zack,

I think the 190 on the left is Fw 190 D-9 W.Nr. 600651 "White 15" of 1./JG2. The photo was probably taken at Straubing airfield.

Regards
Roger
Old 31st March 2009, 23:22

Thanks for the info Roger.

Is anyone aware of any sources of period photos or other historical information of the airfied at Straubing?
Old 14th April 2009, 19:19
Alter Hase

Hello,

If you are too lazy to print the photo from the ArmyAirForce page yourself, it is now now available as copy via ebay for "just" $5 .... :-O Or you may go the easy way and download it yourself from the ArmyAirForce page, that costs you $0 ;-) [note: I have no connection to the seller whatsoever]

I'm wondering if the owner is aware of this? Probably yes, I doubt that it would be offered otherwise.

Regards
Roger
Old 14th April 2009, 19:55
Alter Hase

Speaking of "great" ebay offers: have you seen this one yet?? First one is served first so be better fast

Cheers,
Roger
Old 14th April 2009, 20:16

lingodog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gaemperle View Post
Speaking of "great" ebay offers: have you seen this one yet?? First one is served first so be better fast

Cheers,
Roger

The seller is barely literate - and rather greedy!
Old 14th April 2009, 20:21

lingodog is on a distinguished road

[quote=lingodog;84476]The seller is barely literate - and rather greedy!

But he is entertaining. Mapping plane was thousands of miles above the action indeed!
Old 14th April 2009, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gaemperle View Post
Hello,

If you are too lazy to print the photo from the ArmyAirForce page yourself, it is now now available as copy via ebay for "just" $5 .... :-O Or you may go the easy way and download it yourself from the ArmyAirForce page, that costs you $0 ;-) [note: I have no connection to the seller whatsoever]

I'm wondering if the owner is aware of this? Probably yes, I doubt that it would be offered otherwise.

Regards
Roger
All,
The eBay seller does not have my permission to sell the photo. The original is in the possession of my grandmother. I scanned it myself. I have notified eBay of this fact. The seller fraudulently states that the original photo is in his collection and then has the nerve to talk about copyrights in his listing.
Old 15th April 2009, 00:59
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road

Hi, Zack...

I am the seller of the Fw190 photo, and I bought a copy of it off eBay around 2 weeks ago.

Though I understand your frustration, there is most likely no legal copyright on this photo, and I copied it off the original I had given to me. When I say "original", I mean the post-war paper one that was sent to me. I looked at your link above, and the quality of the one I received is slightly different than the link you you have posted, so it is possible the original seller enhanced it (?).

Almost all photos of German aircraft lost all copyright due to the War Properties Act, which is why you constantly see the same photos being published on the internet over and over again, and in the same magazines and books.

If there is a legal copyright on this photo, it would lie ONLY in the hands of the ORIGINAL PHOTOGRAPHER (the person who took the photo). So if let's say, your grandafther is the one in the photo...if he hands his camera to a friend and says, "take a photo of me on this Fw190"...his friend who pressed the shutter button is the legal copyrioght owner. Copyright does not lie in the hands of who is in the photo, or who currently has possession of the original. And even then, what sucks is that if someone is trying to prove copyright ownership, one then has to prove "who" the original photographer is...how it was passed down, etc. with documentation. eBay will not remove anything in regards to copyright on photos as they do not have jurisdiction, nor know copyright law. They will ask you to fill out a form...fax it to them...then they contact the seller. Seller replies with a form...then they ask you to provide a Court Order and proof of a lawsuit filed, otherwise they keep the auction listed.

I can remove it as a courtesy if you wish, but no laws are being broken. Copyright Law is VERY in depth, so I will not reply again to this thread as I do not want to it to get into copyright discussion, but you are welcome to contact me off board if you wish.

Mike
Old 15th April 2009, 02:39

Let me be clear. It is my wish that you end the eBay auctions of my family's photo and that you never again offer it or any of the rest for sale in any form.

I wish to communicate the same to the person from whom you say you purchased the photo. Please send me their eBay username offline so that I may inform them of my wishes as well.

I ask this of you not as a courtesy, but out of respect for the man in the photograph, my late grandfather, Ronald E. "Hick" Miller. Imagine for a moment how it feels to see a personal photograph, cherished since childhood, offered for sale by a stranger, with a company logo stamped across it as if it is corporate property.

After the first sentence of your message, you expended the entire balance of text telling me why this image is not covered by copyright law. Then, at the bottom of your eBay listing is the following statement: "All pictures and descriptions used in my auctions under COPYRIGHT and I forbid the use of these photos and information in any manner such as paper or electronic (internet) publications or otherwise. Use is solely based on my authorization only." .....................What?

In your eBay listing, you stated the following: "This item is a new print from the original." Say what you will, but it is clear from the quantity and scope of items you've sold and offer for sale on eBay that you know what "original" means to collectors. Or do you?

I posted this image on the web because I want to learn as much about my grandfather's military service as I can. He's not around anymore for me to ask, so I'm piecing together the puzzle from every clue I can gather. Thanks to others on this site, I believe I finally know where and when this photograph was taken. And now, the knowledge base is greater. Please do not take advantage of me and all the other folks that make up this online community.