Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 13th June 2010, 22:10

macmullin is on a distinguished road
Typhoons at the Hochwald Gap

I have been doing a little research for an aviation painting I would like to create. The theme & topic is mainly about the Hawker Typhoons who helped out the 4th Canadian Armour by attacking the 116th Panzer Division during Operation "Blockbuster" at the Hochwald Gap (Between Feb 28 and April 1st 1945).

I have been trying to find out what RAF, RCAF or RAAF squadron(s) took part in this helpful offensive. At this moment I have failed to come up with any information. If anyone can help me out it would be appreciated.
Old 13th June 2010, 22:16
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Typhoons at the Hochwald Gap

Try putting this on the Allied as opposed to Luftwaffe site?
Old 13th June 2010, 22:44
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

Start by looking for books/works on 2nd Tactical Air Force, which will identify the units in France at the time. Many aviation histories, sadly, do not identify just which bit of mud was being moved at any one time, concentrating on the aerial battles, whereas many Army accounts barely mention air support at all. The advantage of air power is its flexibility, so that any of the units present could have taken part in this battle. However, the split of responsibility means that your best bet will be the Canadian Typhoon units, wich had a specific responsibility to the Canadian Army.

Try Googling for RCAF in 2 TAF for the period.
Old 14th June 2010, 02:37

I downloaded a PDF of the Classic 2nd TAF Vol 1 to 3. In vol three I managed to find out the air support for the 4th Canadian Armor of the 1st Canadian Army was 2 TAF 84th group. This does narrow down my search to now four Typhoon wings. Now, first within in 84 Group - what wings or squadrons were in this group, and second, out of those who used rocket firing Typhoons?
Old 14th June 2010, 10:47
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

You will find this information in other pages of the books - although as the Canadian close-support units were in 83 Group I'd check your information before going any further.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:26

I must agree with you completely, I will also explore the other volumes and books for more information. I am only in the first phase of gathering information for this new project, along with many others. It is not always so easy to get started until someone with more experience, and knowledge points you in the right direction.

I received my Fine Arts Degree here in Canada at Mount Allison University in printmaking & painting during the early 80's. I gained a small reputation 20 years ago locally with post-modern works of art. I feel I created these art works to impress, to get along, and be counted with my piers - but it never seem to please me. I always like the high realism paintings I created in traditional egg tempera before I went to school.

In the middle of the 90's I got married and had a family. I stopped painting for many reasons. For one, I felt I had no direction with my art career and was wasting my time, and second I had more important responsibilities to my family and friends. Now the children are on their own, and I have more time to start back into painting - I am doing so.

I have always been an aviation fan all my life. I have spent endless hours drawing, and making model military vehicles & aircraft as a child - well into my teens. I have finally come to the conclusion to pull the two together "painting and military & aviation".

The painting project that I am presently have on the drawing board is a Spitfire Mk.XVI (very early none bubble canopy version) of Canadian RCAF P/O Stephen Butte of 403 Squadron Titled: "My Best Day". During Operation Bodenpatte, P/O Butte shot down three German aircraft over the Haren - Evere aerodrome that early-clear morning. I have posted one of preliminary drawings for anyone who might be interested. :-)
Old 14th June 2010, 16:44

Clint Mitchell is on a distinguished road

Looks promising Macmullin. You may want to check out:

www.mil-art.com
www.military-meshes.com
Moving Targets Art Forum

Unless of course you know these already.
Old 14th June 2010, 19:12

Juergen is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I live near the Hochwald Gap, which actually is the lane of the Boxtel Railway track through the Hochwald Forest at Uedemerbruch, 5 mls W of Xanten. A plaque fixed to the railway tunnel at Uedemerbruch reminds of the severe fights which took place there.
I have checked the Fighter Command Losses Vol. IV for Typhoon losses in this area within the period you mentioned above and found the following:

183 Sqn. Typhoon Ib EK 498 "N" W/O Crowther W Xanten
266 Sqn. " RB 253 P/O Shepherd SW Xanten
440 Sqn. " RB 338 F/O Gibbs E Goch
609 Sqn. " EK 380 P/O Goblet nr Xanten
" " SW 447 S/Ldr Roberts (prob. dam. by
Hochwald a/a gun)

To my knowledge the Hochwald Gap fights ended 13. March 1945, when Veen was the last town to be occupied in this area. I could also give you assistance to recreate the required location as authentical as possible.

Regards, Juergen
Old 14th June 2010, 19:56

tcolvin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Boak View Post
However, the split of responsibility means that your best bet will be the Canadian Typhoon units, which had a specific responsibility to the Canadian Army.

Try Googling for RCAF in 2 TAF for the period.
Graham, your advice is incorrect.
There was no connection on national lines.

The connection was between RAF Groups and Armies.
In 21 Army Group, comprising 2 British Army and 1 Canadian Army, 83 Group was tied to 2 British Army, and 84 Group was tied to 1 Canadian Army.
Operation Veritable (which covered the Hochwald) was the responsibility of 1 Canadian Army, which had almost the entire British Army under command.
During this extensive operation which lasted a month and when 2 British Army had almost no troops (it was planning Operation Plunder), 83 Group operated mostly on the German side of the lines.

Tony
Old 15th June 2010, 13:33

Thank you guys for your replies, I your input is very important to me. One thing I found out last night reading from Classic 2 TAF Vol 1 (Page 120)

2 TAF 84 Group

As of June 5, 1945 just before D-Day had the following structure

123 Wing: 198 and 609 Squadrons Typhoon Mk.IB stationed at Thorny Island

136 Wing: 164 and 184 Squadrons Typhoon Mk.IB - stationed at Thorny Island

146 Wing: 193, 197, 257 and 266 Squadrons Typhoon Mk.IB – stationed at Needs Oar Point

The only thing is what did 84 Group look like almost a year later - with it's players changing teams like professional sports?

Clinton78 Yes I am a member at two of the sights (Mil-Art and Military Mesheshs) the third I have never seen - I will have to take a look at it, thanks. :-)

Juergen your discovery is wounderful... we all know now that 193, 266 and 609 squadrons from 84 Group were on the ball field during that time period

Tcolvin its also great to know the chances are 83 Group kept their noses out of the 84 Groups business.

This is fun... WWII version of the Game Clue! :-)

Last edited by macmullin; 15th June 2010 at 13:39. Reason: Spelling