Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 14th February 2018, 19:26
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Alarmstart: The German Fighter Pilot's Experience in the Second World War: Northwestern Europe – from the Battle of Britain to the Battle of Germany

Scheduled for June 1. The description indicates this is the first volume.

https://www.amazon.com/Alarmstart-Ge.../dp/1445671220

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 14th February 2018, 21:30

AMC is on a distinguished road
Re: Alarmstart: The German Fighter Pilot's Experience in the Second World War: Northwestern Europe – from the Battle of Britain to the Battle of Germa

To be honest I am never happy with the idea of a "series" of books, they most times never get finished, or you get frustrated waiting for the next one.
That said there are also many many books covering this area, including the recent huge blockbuster "Air War over Europe 1939 – 1945" (Manual Wolf) a mighty 800 page, one volume A4, with much detail, photos, and colour "artwork" (although I have seen better).
Is this much of what we already have, I wonder!!

Last edited by AMC; 14th February 2018 at 23:19.
Old 15th February 2018, 07:05

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road
Re: Alarmstart: The German Fighter Pilot's Experience in the Second World War: Northwestern Europe – from the Battle of Britain to the Battle of Germa

Nice to see work on German fighter pilots in Western Europe. The only book I have read on the subject is Caldwell's excellent "Day Fighters in Defence of Reich: A Way Diary, 1942-45". I'll have to look for "Air War over Europe 1939 - 1945"

Particularly from 1943, I've often thought that Luftwaffe pilots would have felt and experienced the same challenges as the Brits in the BoB - but for a much greater length of time.

ASWWIAH Member
Old 15th February 2018, 18:56
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Hello Jim,

You bring up something that I don't believe has been covered in a single book: a comparison of say, RAF vs. Luftwaffe training and results. This along with the changing war situation as time passed. Here's an example of what I mean:

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/researc...-training.aspx

Also, since the RAF had a number of foreign, non-Commonwealth volunteers with varying levels of experience, I wonder how they were trained or not.