Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 9th December 2021, 03:21

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road
Jagdwaffe vs. 332d Fighter Group

Did Luftwaffe intelligence ever discover that the men they were flying against in the 332d Fighter Group (P-39s, P-40s, P-47s and later in P-51s that had red tails) were African Americans?

I assume that American news and press reports of the Tuskegee Airmen made their way to Germany, but I'm wondering if the Jagdwaffen knew or recognized who they were flying against on any given day.

Thanks!

Bronc
Old 9th December 2021, 04:04
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Jagdwaffe vs. 332d Fighter Group

Yes, of course. German intelligence was adept at picking up news reports from the USA through neutral countries (Portugal, Switzerland). Whether a Luftwaffe pilot could recognize a Black US pilot in combat, is hard to determine
Old 9th December 2021, 04:38
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

And Black POWs would not escape notice. First POW from the 99th FS was on Jan 15, 1944; there were over 30 POWs from the 332nd FG by the end of the war.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 9th December 2021, 11:55
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

...and some of the Brazilian Air Force POW's - 1st BFS, 350th FG (shot down and captured in Italy as well) were not white as a sheet of paper as well!...since we are a mixture of races, colours, creeds, etc....
Old 9th December 2021, 18:36

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

I somehow doubt that the average Jagdwaffe pilot obsessed about his opponents' skin colour the way that WOKEsters do these days.....
Old 9th December 2021, 18:50
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtwinVince View Post
I somehow doubt that the average Jagdwaffe pilot obsessed about his opponents' skin colour
I seem to remember that many Germans c. 1933–45 paid a lot of attention to perceived racial distinctions.
Old 9th December 2021, 23:47
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, look at what the Wehrmacht did to the French colonial POWs they captured. There was wholesale slaughter of them. Not discussed much these days.
Old 10th December 2021, 04:20

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road

Was that kind of information outlined in a Jagdwaffe staffel mission briefing? As in, "men, intelligence suggests that today the so-called, Tuskegee Airmen, will be in the air against us. Be on the lookout for red tails."

The breath and depth of a typical Luftwaffe mission briefing has always been a question of mine.

Thanks!

Bronc
Old 10th December 2021, 09:37
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncazonk View Post
Was that kind of information outlined in a Jagdwaffe staffel mission briefing? As in, "men, intelligence suggests that today the so-called, Tuskegee Airmen, will be in the air against us. Be on the lookout for red tails."

The breath and depth of a typical Luftwaffe mission briefing has always been a question of mine.

Thanks!

Bronc
I would imagine that who they were up against would emerge after action rather than before, either through pilots reporting distinctive markings on opponents' planes or reports in the foreign press. Also, of course, each side listened in on the other's R/T traffic. The Allies had so many units to deploy that I doubt the German fighters would have any idea exactly who they'd face on a given sortie, just that opposition was all but inevitable.
Old 10th December 2021, 17:52

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

No, don't let modern perceptions cloud your thinking. And keep in mind that a certain ace of JG 27 had a black man as a batman. And not all Germans of the period, even serving officers, were obsessed with race, this is simplistic, black-and-white thinking which does nothing to expand our knowledge.