Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th July 2006, 22:11
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
OKL unit markings order; Me 262 codes; etc.

The lates updates to http://www.ghostbombers.com/updates.html include:

- A directive from OKL Operations Staff dated 3 February 1944 about the application of unit markings to aircraft. I don't think this hasn't been published anywhere else.

- Deciphered German reports on a number of lost or missing Me 262s of I./KG 51; codes of 13 machines of 2./KG 51 and the dates they left Lechfeld in October 1944; codes and/or Werk Nummern of a number of other I./KG 51 jets; codes of all the Gruppe's serviceable and unserviceable aircraft on 4 February 1945. And as a bonus, reports on the repair of two Kommando Nowotny aircraft at Achmer. Again, I think there are a couple of new things here (after all, the Me 262 is *such* a neglected aircraft!).

- More details of SG 4's operations, claims and losses on 7 April 1944 and a signal explaining why Palombaro was their target that day.

- Markings of eight Fw 190s of 1. and 2./JG 2 in Italy on 6 April 1944 plus the name of another pilot who took part in the Italian deployment.

- German intelligence about the effects of the raids on Allied airfields in Corsica in May 1944.
Old 16th July 2006, 12:13

Jaap Woortman is on a distinguished road
Re: OKL unit markings order; Me 262 codes; etc.

Dear Nick,

You have said in your updates:" 1)
Me 262, 9K+LL, Works Number 170013, pilot Obltn. Gärtner, belonging to Detachment Edelweiss, took off on 19/9 from Rheine to operate in the Liège area. "

I have always thought that Gärtner was missing in action at September 10th, 1944? Typo?

Jaap
Old 16th July 2006, 19:47
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Assuming all the modern books are correct, it is a typo but it's not mine - it's in the original intelligence document.
Old 16th July 2006, 22:52

George Hopp

As always, Nick, wonderful material. However, when I tried to print out your excellent piece on 1944 markings, I got 97s single line pages for that 3rd page of info. If that it what you intended it worked.
Old 17th July 2006, 10:03

Jaap Woortman is on a distinguished road

Nick,

Also in your improvements of page 352 in the note you are mentioning:" Note: this corresponds with the claim by Ofw. Petersen of 2./KG 51 of a B-24 shot down between Weert and Venlo at 09.25 hours."

I think Petersen has made a mistake. In this part of the Netherlands only the Lancaster III PB629 of 582 Sqn. was shot down by an enemy a/c. S/L F.G.Grillage was killed and buried at Venray War Cemetery.
Time and crashplace of the plane is not known yet.
The plane took part in a daylight RAF opeartion against Heimbach, Germany.
This was the only 4-mot. that was lost over the Netherlands at December 3rd, 1944.
The 8th US A.A.F was not flyng that day, besides 7 B-24s flying RCM.
They have had no losses.

Jaap
Old 17th July 2006, 13:40
Super Moderator

To George: Re "if that is what you intended it worked."
I didn't plan it to be unprintable - wouldn't know how! All the Ghostbombers pages are based on tables, usually one paragraph to a cell, and page three should be no different from the other two. There's always "copy and paste" I suppose...

To Jaap: thanks for the information. I was careful to write "claim" - shot down aircraft are often quite a different thing.
Old 17th July 2006, 16:46

George Hopp

Quote:
To George: Re "if that is what you intended it worked."
I didn't plan it to be unprintable - wouldn't know how! All the Ghostbombers pages are based on tables, usually one paragraph to a cell, and page three should be no different from the other two. There's always "copy and paste" I suppose...
Thanks, Nick. I wasn't sure. Thank you for providing such an excellent resource for us. It is wonderfully kind of you.
All the best,
George