Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 29th April 2005, 17:01

DsrtRat is on a distinguished road
SG-4 190s in Jan/feb 1944 over Italy

What model of FW was SG-4 using over Italy in ealry 1944? Was it an A6 or an F8. I have seen both in the familiar brown with green spotted paintscheme.

I am doing research for a painting of my uuncle's uunit who fought them over Italy (mainly Anzio).

ANy help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul Houle
Old 1st May 2005, 01:05
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: SG-4 190s in Jan/feb 1944 over Italy

There's no simple answer.

In the early months of 1944 they had mostly A-6 but also some G-2 and G-3.

On 25 May, the reported losses were A-6, F-8 and G-8.

Do you know which Staffel your uncle was in?
Old 3rd May 2005, 01:55

DsrtRat is on a distinguished road

Nick,

Thanks for the info. I guess I wasn't clear which side my uncle was on. He was the CO of 417 RCAF squadron in late 1943 to feb 1944. They tangled with Sg-4 on several ocassions and he scored over them a couple of times.

The incident(s) that I wanted to portray actually happened to him on 2 occasions. On two seperate occasions he attacked Fw190s of SG-4 over ANzio and while shooting at the 190s, was jumped by a higher section. Both times his planes was plastered with cannon and machine gun fire and damaged beyond repair. To this day he still has a rearview mirror that sits 5 inches above the pilots head at home that has a 20mm hole in it. He also has a 20mm cannon shell that broke his armoured seat in two just behind his head causing a piece to be logeed in his neck.

I want the painting to be historically correct down to the smallest detail so I was looking for the type that would have been involved. Postwar records indicated he shot down A6s on both occasions but I have seen so few pitures of their A6s and their paintscheme that I was beginning to think it was a historical error. I would be grateful to anyone who has a pitcure or depection of the paintjob they used on their A6s.

Cheers

Paul Houle
Old 3rd May 2005, 11:51
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

I see no reason to suppose that the A-6s were painted any differently from the other sub-types at the period in question. That is IF SG 4 by February 1944 had adopted the brown-green scheme familiar from the various photos of the unit's F-models.

That scheme seems to have been applied in-theatre (as with brown-green used by elements of I./JG 4 and III./JG 53) so it wouldn't depend on a given factory or sub-type. I don't know if I have an camo descriptions for Fw 190 wrecks/captures from this period but I'll check.