Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 26th April 2005, 20:25

Jon
Mosquito 57mm (6 Pounder) air to air kill ?

The Mosquito, a superb British aircraft, was fitted with 57mm or 6 Pounder Anti Tank gun for use against surfaced U Boats in the Bay of Biscay.
I am sure i read many years ago about a Mosquito with the 6 pounder getting involved with JU88's ( I assume from KG30 ) and actually getting an air to air kill with the weapon. The JU88 not surprisingly broke up and fell into the sea.

Did this really happen ?
Did it only happen once ?
Old 26th April 2005, 20:42

alex crawford
Re: Mosquito 57mm (6 Pounder) air to air kill ?

Hi,

There are a number of instances when Tse-tse pilots fired their 6pdr at enemy aircraft.

It has often been stated that Sqn Ldr Phillips shot down a Ju88 on 10th March 1944 during an attck on the Japanese Sub I-29, which had travelled from Japan to France. He is stated to have fired four shells at the Junkers and to have knocked out the port engine.

Maybe Chris Goss can supply further details of this.

The only known case of a Tse-tse shooting down an enemy aircraft occured on the 15th January 1945. Fly Off Peacock fired on a Fw 190A3 that was attacking another Mosquito. This Fw190 piloted by Uffz Oskar Helbing broke off the attack and crashlanded.

My book on the Mosquito Mk XVIII Tse-tse should be out later this year.

Alex
Old 27th April 2005, 01:26

mhuxt

I believe Chris' view is that the claim can't be supported by German records. At least, that's how I remember the commentary in his excellent "Bloody Biscay".

There is also an account in "A Most Secret Squadron", though not first hand, from one of the 248 Squadron Tse-tse's navigators. The 57mm shell is said to have ripped out the Ju's port engine during a large melee, sending the Luftwaffe aircraft spinning down into the sea.

Looking forward to your book Alex, please keep us posted!

Cheers,

Mark
Old 27th April 2005, 08:09

Jon

Thanks for the responses.

Please keep us informed on your book Alex, i have a place in my library ready for it !

Regards

Jon
Old 27th April 2005, 08:23

alex crawford

Hi guys,

I'll let you all know nearer the time when it is due out. It will be a fully detailed account of the Tse-tse operations from September 1943 until May 1945. As well as using official documents I have been able to track down a number of 618/248 pilots and navigators for first hand accounts.

I have been thinking of doing something similar on the Mosquito NF XVII.

Alex
Old 27th April 2005, 09:34

Tony Williams

I'm looking forward to that book coming out, too!

For anyone interested, a brief history of the 6 pdr Molins is in an article on my website: "The 6 pdr 7 cwt and the Molins Guns'

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion forum