Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 6th October 2012, 11:06

pfP7063 is on a distinguished road
Is this a Blenheim Mk V?

Hi Folks

I have a photo (shown below) taken from a German minesweeper sometime between late 1942 and probably mid to late 1943. My query is, based on the silhouettte shown, is this a Blenheim Mk V? If so, which squadron(s) flew them during this time period around the Channel Islands and/or off the Dutch/Northern France coast?

If it isn't a Blenheim Mk V what might it be?

I'm trying to identify the aircraft so that I can try and date and identify the squadron and its aircraft that attacked the minesweepers. The minesweeper that the photo was taken from, I believe, was the M422 of the 24th MSF which operated in and around the Channel Islands.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Paul
Old 6th October 2012, 15:42
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: Is this a Blenheim Mk V?

The nose is a bit distinctive, but overall it has (to me) the "sit" of a Ju88. The wings seem a bit long for a Blenheim, the engines a bit too long and underslung, there's no dorsal turret.

I don't think any Blenheim Mk.Vs flew on operations from the UK, but I can't confirm that offhand, and it could always have been a test/trials aircraft from (say) Boscombe.
Old 7th October 2012, 01:01
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road

It certainly has the front profile of a Blenheim V and could be the version with a solid nose.

There is also a hint of a dorsal turret and the tailplane is horizontal too.

From late 1942, 13, 18 114 and 614 Sqns in the UK all received Blenheim Vs to work up for a move to North Africa.

From what I have read its seems 614 Sqn may have used this version on OPs from the UK from August 1942.

However if the photo dates from Nov 1942 that is the very same month as all four Sqns flew to North Africa. But it would be strange or rather foolhardy for a crew to buzz or attack a ship on a ferry flight, where safe navigation and staying out of harms way was the order of the day.
Old 7th October 2012, 01:27

Bill Walker is on a distinguished road

There appears to be a turret on the fuselage aft of the wing, which should rule out a Ju88. I agree it looks very much like a Mk. V. Did any Blenheim Mk. IV ever fly with the undernose gun pack?
Old 7th October 2012, 11:09

pfP7063 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input gents - your points coincide with those expressed by those on another forum where I posted the query. The only additional point that they made was that the dorsal turret shown in the photo may in fact be a blemish on the negative in just the wrong place!

Paul