Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 28th March 2005, 05:28

Harold K is on a distinguished road
VVS operational use of B-F I-207 or Kocherigin Di-6?

Can anyone shed some light on whether these two biplanes saw any combat use with the VVS?
Internet/print resources I've seen are scanty and somewhat contradictory. Some references state that one or two of the few Borovkov-Florov I-207s built saw service in the Winter War against Finland. I've read that the Kocherigin Di-6 was used against the Japanese during the Nomonhan/Khalkin Gol "incident"; I've also read that they definitely were NOT used in that conflict. I have also seen a sketchy reference or two to the Di-6 serving in the ground attack role at the time Barbarossa began.
I'm trying to determine whether or not to include models of either of these a/c in my collection; my main criterion is whether or not a given aircraft was actually used operationally.
Old 28th March 2005, 19:01

Mirek Wawrzynski is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: VVS operational use of Kocherigin Di-6?

Hi

Di-6 was never used over Chalchin-Gol. One of new fighter used there was I-153. No Soviet Russian new resarches confirmed of using any Di-6 there, it is well now and resarched part of using I-16 with RS-82 so there are no reason to hidden the history about Di-6 which was not good fighter.
Di-6s were used in combat over Poland in IX/X 1939, there were several tens attached to assoult regiments.
During Winter War the planes was aslo in some units but in the secondary position it was used as a spare parts "store".
During Barbarossa there were some tnes of Di-6 in unservisable condtition all lost - no comabt use in June 1941 if only single planes as a laison no any data about it.
Regards
Mirek W
Old 28th March 2005, 20:25

Harold K is on a distinguished road
Re: VVS operational use of B-F I-207 or Kocherigin Di-6?

Dziekuje Mirek

So, the VVS used the Di-6 when the Soviets moved into eastern Poland in September 1939?
Old 30th March 2005, 09:14

Mirek Wawrzynski is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Yes they did

Yes they did it in small scale
mw