Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 24th August 2011, 18:48

gorban is on a distinguished road
Feldwebel Hermann Grub

Hi,

I am searching for information about my grandfather on my mothers side. He was shot down close to Savelli in southern Italy on August 20, 1943.

Does anyone have any information about him? Would also appreciate any advice on how to do more research about him.

Thanks,

Henrik from Sweden
Old 25th August 2011, 00:23
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough
Re: Feldwebel Hermann Grub

Do you any idea what type of unit he flew with? That would certainly help to focus a search.
Old 25th August 2011, 00:37
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Hi.

I believe this is the loss record:

http://www.aviationhistory.no/ref_db...?lossid=121722

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 25th August 2011, 00:40
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Hi, again.

The essence of the loss record is that they seemingly crashed, and was not shot down.

It is of course possible that they crashed into the ground being chased or for whatever other reason, but the loss reason indicated here and the fact that two crew members survived the crash could be taken as an indication that they would be able to inform the unit about the circumstances of the crash.

Anyone got ULTRA on this??

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 25th August 2011, 23:06

gorban is on a distinguished road

This is really interesting. Thanks for the information. The story within the family has always been that he was shot down over the sea and was missing while he was flying a medical transport. Based on the aircraft type the latter could be correct. Does anyone have any info on the unit he flew with?

I recently found out via the Volksbund.de that he actually has a grave in Cassino. The record states that he died on August 20, 1943 but that could be incorrect then. It is also noted in the Volksbund record that he died close to Sarelli. There is no village called Sarelli in Italy so I assumed it must be Savelli which is located in southern Italy and this appears now to be correct.

How strange that the family never got the information that he was recovered and buried if two of the crew survived.

By the way, what does Bm mean in the crash record? And can anyone interpret the reference section for me?
Old 26th August 2011, 09:28

Khorat is on a distinguished road

Bm - Bordmechaniker - flight engineer, reason given as accidental hitting the ground, northwest of Savelli.

khorat
Old 26th August 2011, 22:13
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

With added information from "Kössler, Transporter-wer kennt sie schon!", p.45 - not 100% sure of SKZ:
Ju 52/3m, 5766, Kerna, Uffz. Walter, , III., 9., TG 1, , 1Z+MT, RG+NL, P 1 M, 23-Aug-43, Injured in crash due to accidently striking the ground. Bs also injured, Bf & Bm killed., Also listed on Transportfliegerführer 1 strength report dated 19-July-43. Bm Fw. Grob per loss., Lfl.2/Transportverbände/Mittelmeer, Gen.Qu.6.Abt. (mfm #11)-Vol.20; Kössler, Transporter-wer kennt sie schon!, p.45, Menke, nordwestlich Savelli, 100%, H, Bf Uffz. Heinrich Jansen, Bm Fw. Hermann Grub & Bs Flg. Kurt Schulz, ,

Last edited by Jim P.; 26th August 2011 at 22:17. Reason: correction
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:03
Alter Hase

Matti Salonen will become famous soon enough

NVM gives date August 20, 1943 and location 5 km nordwestlich Savelli.

Matti