Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th May 2011, 21:16

Richard Mills is on a distinguished road
Researching Ofw. Horst Fischer, Bordschutz in KG77

I have recently purchased 13 documents formerly belonging to Ofw. Horst Fischer, Bordschutz in KG77, and am now in the process of researching as much information as I can about this man.

The research element is relatively straightforward however.......

My main question is that from his paperwork I have him as 7./KG77 & 8./KG77 until July-41. The next document which is a promotion doc dated September-41 (backdated to May-41) and lists him as Unterstab III./KG77. No other document after this records his unit, although there is a paper recording his wish to leave the Evangelical Church dated 24-September-1943 where is is recorded only by name and rank. His discharge paperwork dated September-1944 records he had a leg amputated above the knee as a result of a shell wound. This leads me to beleive he was possibly seriously wounded after July-41 and ended up working in the Unterstab from Sept-41 and was then captured by American forces on 1944. (as I understand it, Unterstab staff were the supporting staff for the Stab aircraft/aircrew?) or................did he possibly resume operational flying duties and suffer the loss of his leg in a crash leading to his capture?

I need to find the details of his possible aircraft loss that resulted in the loss of his leg and/or capture by the Americans which will shed valuable information. To that end, anyone is able to help with the Luftwaffe QM returns which might shed some light? I only have a broad time (July-41 onwards) until he could of recuperated sufficiently to resume duties in the Unterstab (that is if I have it right) but I know that out there, there are enthusiasts that have a great deal of knowledge and information that never ceases to amaze.

If you are able to help at all, I would be very grateful indeed.

Regards Richard.
Old 9th June 2011, 22:06

The said documents are duly listed below in the hope it might explain the background to the research a little better, and hopefully glean some more information.

10-October-1936 5./KG153 DLRG Schein (Gefreiter)

27-February -1937 Fliegerschützen Urkunde (Unteroffizier)

01-April-1938 Dienstauszeichnung IV. Klasse Urkunde 4./KG255 (Unteroffizier)

II./KG255 redesignated III./KG77 01-May-1939

01-October-1939 Medialle zur Erinnerung an den 1.Oktober 1938 Urkunde KG77 (Unteroffizier)

01-December-1939 Promotion to Feldwebel Document 7./KG77 (Feldwebel)

22-June-1940 EKII Urkunde (Feldwebel)

27-March-1941 EKI Urkunde 8./KG77 (Feldwebel)

25-September-1941 Promotion to Oberfeldwebel Document III./KG77 – Unterstab (backdated to 01-May-1941)

13-July-1941 FFS in Silber Urkunde 8./KG77 (Oberfeldwebel)

24-September-1943 Document stating his intention to leave the Evangelical Church.

09-September-1944(!) - Stating an urgent requirement for an artificial limb due to right upper leg amputated.

Any help whatsover in ascertaining the circumstances of the wounding or capture of this man will be very well received indeed.

Regards Richard.
Old 9th June 2011, 22:22
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Researching Ofw. Horst Fischer, Bordschutz in KG77

Richard,

Is there any anecdotal or personal accounts of his experiences during the campaigns of the 1939-40 period among these materials?

Regards,
Old 9th June 2011, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hickey View Post
Richard,
Is there any anecdotal or personal accounts of his experiences during the campaigns of the 1939-40 period among these materials?
Regards,
Larry

Unfortunatly not, there are no anacdotal documents in the grouping at all.

Regards Richard.