Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th June 2008, 01:57
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Making available an archive of NVMs and research materials wanted on the Polish Campaign.

Remi,

Greetings!

Have you indexed your copies of the NVMs? Do you have any which might supplement ours from the Polish Campaign of 1939 or the Western Campaign or Battle of Britain in 1940 (mostly need fighter units for 1940)? I can easily send you an index of what we have, and perhaps we can do an exchange. The document quick scan system you demonstrated for Wim and I last fall was very impressive. One of my staff has been looking into that, and I hope to have one of those soon. However, nearly all of my NVMs are still in Europe at present, after just undergoing a complete inventory and indexing.

On another subject, we're still futzing around with my index of approximately 150 FB from this same period. Was ready to send it to you last week, and checked it again, and found several more errors in it that must be fixed before it goes out. My assistant, Scott Miller, will be forwarding that to you very soon. He'll be in touch directly.

Warm regards,
Old 19th June 2008, 22:48
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road
Re: Making available an archive of NVMs and research materials wanted on the Polish Campaign.

Hi

I have a web-based system that would nicely incorporate such a collection. Also have more than enough disk space on my server.

It already has all available loss records from the GenQu archive linked in as .pdf files, to allow fast access to these files when necessary (as the records are also digitized this is more or less for cross and double checking records only.

Login can be made as secure you want it, but usually a standard .net approach should be more than adequate.

As all these NVM's would be linked to losses registered in the system, search facilities would already be in place.

Please see attached screenshots for examples.

The NVM would appear as a link in the references section for the relevant loss, but a separate searchable 'catalog' for these would be no problem either.

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 20th June 2008, 17:42
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Andreas,

Thanks for your kind offer. This still requires scanning many thousands of pages of material, which I haven't yet decided that I'm willing to do. Unlike Remi's collection of NVMs mine is not scanned, and the pages are in more than one size, which doesn't lend to a smooth mechanization of the scanning process. I will certainly keep this option under consideration as I'm thinking my way through this.

Best wishes,