Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th April 2024, 06:01

oquaig is on a distinguished road
Has anyone ever found aerial photos or a map of these airfields ?

Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever found aerial photos or a map of Starawies, Rogoznica, Miedzyrzee airfields ? They were all with 5 km of each other with Krzewica only 10 km away. The Luftwaffe Airfields page by de Zeng has little information except that there was a Polish airfield there before the war. Could it be that Starawies, Rogoznica were the same airfield with the crews quartered in different villages ?

Thanks in advance
Oquaig
Old 16th April 2024, 07:37

Re: Has anyone ever found aerial photos or a map of these airfields ?

Hi everyone,

The only source I have that I./KG 53 was at Miedzyrzee is Heinz Kiehl. It is mentioned only once in the text and isn’t footnoted. I suspect everyone just quotes from him without question. If there is another source I would like to see it. Odd that I./KG 53 spent only one day/night at Miedzyrzee. Maybe they (officers, aircrew ?) were only quartered there for the night. They flew missions while there on 2 July 1941 and had one aircraft damaged by a fighter. On 3 July 1941 I./KG 53 lost another making a “Bruchlandung” at “Krewitca” (Krzewica) possibly before their move to Baranovichi the same day.

oquaig
Old 17th April 2024, 00:34

Tim O. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oquaig View Post
Hi everyone,

The only source I have that I./KG 53 was at Miedzyrzee is Heinz Kiehl. It is mentioned only once in the text and isn’t footnoted. I suspect everyone just quotes from him without question. If there is another source I would like to see it. Odd that I./KG 53 spent only one day/night at Miedzyrzee. Maybe they (officers, aircrew ?) were only quartered there for the night. They flew missions while there on 2 July 1941 and had one aircraft damaged by a fighter. On 3 July 1941 I./KG 53 lost another making a “Bruchlandung” at “Krewitca” (Krzewica) possibly before their move to Baranovichi the same day.

oquaig
I have a Flugbuch to a 5./KG53 airman based at Krzewika from 26 June to 1 July 1941 and flying three missions from there (26 and 30 June and 1 July).

Looking for any information or documents relating to:
Alfred Schmittka 5./KG 54; Josef Harmeling 4.(Schlacht)/LG 2; Wilhelm Gaul 1./106, 2./906 & III./KG 40; Karl Müller I./KG 2; Werner Breese 5.(F)/122
Old 17th April 2024, 06:53

Hi Tom,

Interesting, so at least 5./KG 53 moved to Krzewica after III. and IV./JG 51 moved to Pruzhany on 24 June. I wonder if the entire group moved there as well...

Thanks Tom
Old 21st April 2024, 18:08

tanzebau is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I found some information on reel A5263 from AFHRA. The list is from 10.1944 but it's stated that information about airfields is dated 09.1939:

- Rogoznica L.G. (landing ground)

52°01'50"N
22°52'10"E (village)

Believed to be suitable for use by fighter aircraft
Rogoznica is 4.5 miles W. of Biala Podlaska

- Wegrow/Stara Wies L.G. (Toncza, Srodborow):
52°27'55"N
21°57'30"E
4 miles WNW of Sokolow Podlaski

Hope it helps
Old 22nd April 2024, 16:21
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Oquaig -

Here are a couple of them.................I think you will find some or all of the others, too, but you will have to search through my listings for Luftwaffe Airfields in Poland and my list for Russia and Ukraine. Good Luck!
P.S. as for the name of the villages where the aircrew slept, if recorded, it would only be found in unit KTB'er and in the records of the German Ortskommandantur for those villages.

L. deZ.

Rogozniczka (POL) (a.k.a. Rogoznica, Rogoźnica) (52 01 50 N – 22 52 10 E)
General: landing ground (Landeplatz) in C Poland (E Poland today) 44 km ESE of Siedlce,19 km W of Biala Podlaska and 8 km NE of Miedzyrzec Podlaski. History: one of the numerous airfields developed by the Lw. in eastern Poland 1940-41 in preparation for the attack on the USSR in Jun 41. Reverted to caretaker status in Sep 41 and apparently not used again.
Operational Units: I./KG 53 (Jun-Jul 41).
Station Commands: Fl.H.Kdtr. E 3/IV (Jun 41); Fl.Pl.Kdo. A 17/II (Sep 41).
Station Units (on various dates – not complete): Lw.-Bau-Btl. 6/XIII (Jun 41); Lw.-BauGerätezug 9/XI (Jun 41); m.Fl.Betr.St.Kol. 4/IV (Jun 41); Trsp.Kol. d.Lw. 20/XI (Jun 41); Ldssch.Zug d.Lw. 240/VI (Jun, Sep 41); Ldssch.Zug d.Lw. 299/VI (Jun 41).
[Sources: AFHRA A5263 p.1123 (30 Oct 44); chronologies; BA-MA; NARA; PRO/NA; web site ww2.dk]

Starawies (POL) (a.k.a. Starawieś, Stara Wieś?, Tończa, Wegrow?) (c. 52 27 55 N –
21 57 30 E?)
General: landing ground (Landeplatz) in C Poland 36-41 km NW of Siedlce, 8.5 km NNW of
Wegrow and within 1 to 1.5 km from both Starawies and Toncza. History: a pre-war
Polish AF field. After brief use by Luftwaffe fighters in June 1941, it was inactivated and
not heard of again. Infrastructure: had fuel and munitions storage and barracks.
Operational Units: I./JG 51 (Jun 41).
Station Commands: Fl.Pl.Kdo. A 3/II (Sep 41).
Station Units (on various dates – not complete): Ldssch.Zug d.Lw. 70/VI (Sep 41).
[Sources: AFHRA A5263 pp.1125 and 1131 (30 Oct 44); chronologies; BA-MA; NARA;
PRO/NA; web site ww2.dk]
Old 23rd April 2024, 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzebau View Post
Hello,

I found some information on reel A5263 from AFHRA. The list is from 10.1944 but it's stated that information about airfields is dated 09.1939:

- Rogoznica L.G. (landing ground)

52°01'50"N
22°52'10"E (village)

Rogoznica is 4.5 miles W. of Biala Podlaska

- Wegrow/Stara Wies L.G. (Toncza, Srodborow):
52°27'55"N
21°57'30"E
4 miles WNW of Sokolow Podlaski

Hope it helps

Hi Tanzebau,

Yes, very helpful Thank you. Finding Rogoznica was amusing because there are three grouped together: Rogoznica proper, mis-labeled on Mapcarta as “Starawies”, but on the 1941 Deutsche Heereskarte it was the only Rogoznica in that area; the current bigger village of Rogoznica 1.3 km to the west and Rogoznica Kolonia 1.5 km to the SW (both shown on the Deutsche Heereskarte only as outlying buildings) are likely post war developments (thus the “Starawies” -meaning ‘old town’ in Polish- may have been a reference to it being the original Rogoznica and contributed to my incorrect thinking that Starawies was located here too). The airfield was likely at the south end of Rogoznica. Miedzyrzee is 7 km to the SW.

The only source I have that I./KG 53 was at Miedzyrzee is Heinz Kiehl. It is mentioned only once in the text and isn’t footnoted and there is no bibliography. I suspect everyone just quotes from him. Maybe Kiehl was quoting someone’s flugbuch or the unit KTB ? I know he did research at the Karlsruhe collection in the 60’s and 70’s just by the loss list at the end of the book. He interviewed a lot of people from KG 53 also.

Odd that I./KG 53 spent only one day/night at Miedzyrzee. They flew missions while there on 2 July 1941 and had one aircraft damaged by a fighter. On 3 July I./KG 53 lost another making a “Bruchlandung” at “Krewitca” (Krzewica)possibly before their move to Baranovichi the same day, or maybe because of it.

Thanks again
oquaig
Old 23rd April 2024, 23:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry deZeng View Post
Oquaig -

Here are a couple of them.................I think you will find some or all of the others, too, but you will have to search through my listings for Luftwaffe Airfields in Poland and my list for Russia and Ukraine. Good Luck!
P.S. as for the name of the villages where the aircrew slept, if recorded, it would only be found in unit KTB'er and in the records of the German Ortskommandantur for those villages.

L. deZ.

Hi Larry,

When I look for airfields your listings at Luftwaffe Airfields is always the first place I look. I looked up Starawies and saw “Wegrów” and I am going “naw, that can’t be it”. There are more than a dozen Starawies, Stara Wies, Starowies and Staro Wies within a 100 km radius of Siedlce. I looked at “Forgotten Airfields”. I looked at Deutsche Heereskarte to see which Starawies were on the map in 1941. I looked at a couple of Russian language sites, including the one that Mikhail Timin used to post on. I looked at popular literature accounts of JG 51…I was amused by the 1944 LW aerial of Siedlce airfield. A half km to the east of it is another Starawies.

Turns out the Starawies NNW of Wegrów is in fact the correct place, but on the eastern side of town between Starawies and Toncza. The airfield is at 52.454636N, 21.973309E. If you look at it long enough you see the outline of the squarish airfield where two roads form an X off center, very similar to Krzewica airfield (52.055625N, 22.696689E), which is a perfect square 1.3 x 1.3 km in size.

Thanks again
oquaig