Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 12th January 2019, 18:14

cz_raf
Dual training flight on Harvard

Hi all,

I am interested in occupation of Harvard cockpit during training flights.
I understand from the manual that solo flights had to be done always from the front cockpit.
When there were both occupied, the pilot-trainee sits in the front and pilot-instructor.

1. Is this correct and was there any general rule requesting this siting? I am alittle bit confused aby a drawing in one manual that the blind-flying hood was possible to install in both cockpits...

2. If yes, was this rule applicable also to all other types used for the RAF/RCAF pilot training, for example Tiger Moth?

TIA

Pave
Old 14th January 2019, 23:37
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Dual training flight on Harvard

Dear Pave or Pavel,

From what I have read (do have the NA T-6 Flight Manual too) the fact that students on solo flights flew their missions on the front seat is due to the C.G. limits and probably because of the engine being heavy installed on the nose (i.e.: if a spin occur and the student is on the back seat there is a tendency to enter onto a Flat Spin...on most cases FATAL).

I have been researching about the "Brazilians into RAF Service, 1939-45" and some of them indeed died on NA T-6 flights...at least one Flight Instructor on a spinning training (with student)...

Regarding the HOOD for Instrument Flights (IFR Flights), I have seen pictures of similar hoods onto Tigher Moths and BT-13...It is still very easy to simulate IFR flight by closing or obstructing the frontal and lateral Windows with plastic covers or appropriate items, so you can train IFR flights and turns, etc...on a CAVOK sky. This is done actually on Flight Schools all around the world.

I also flew gliders and the solo flight is likewise onto the front seat (with plumb on the back seat)....

Hope to have answered you accordingly....what you are looking for more precisely? One Polish or Czech pilot crashed on training flight on a Tiger Moth? Solo? Have you tried to obtain the Accident Report?

Adriano S. Baumgartner
Old 15th January 2019, 00:11
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough

Most instruments were in front, back more simple. Thats the reason
Old 15th January 2019, 09:21

cz_raf

Thank you both for your answers.

@ Adriano - you have identify my name correly, I made a typo in my post:-)

I am researching one instructor flying on Harvards in Canada (BCATP) and I want simply to write that when he finished his own training at the SFTS (at the front cockpit) he passed the instructor course and returned back to the same SFTS as instructir and moved to the rear cockpit.

Pavel