Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 24th November 2007, 09:27

Rob Romero is an unknown quantity at this point
Battle of Britain Ace Lists -Enjoy

Luftwaffe and RAF -Improved from lists found on net: Additions, errata, comments, suggetions, appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob Romero
Old 24th November 2007, 18:34

Artur PK is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Battle of Britain Ace Lists -Enjoy

Hi Rob!

You made a lot of mistakes in your Luftwaffe aces list.

Between 10.07-31.10.1940 Helmut Wick claimed 31 vic. (his 14-44; he claimed 12 vic. in November), Adolf Galland - 36 vic. (his 15-50; 8 in November and December), Werner Mölders - 29 vic. (his 26-54; one in December), Hermann-Friedrich Joppien - 19 vic. (5-23; 7 in November and December), Herbert Ihlefeld - 21 vic. (5-25; he claimed also 3 vic. between 30.06-09.07.1940), Gerhard Schöpfel - 17 vic. (5-21; one in November), Erich Schmidt - 15 (1-15; two in November), Siegfried Schnell - 13 (5-17; two in November).

These are only my corrections to your top 10 list...

As you can see Adolf Galland was BoB top scorer, even when we count only victories gained between 10.07-31.10.1940.

Regards,
Artur
Old 24th November 2007, 20:01

Re: Battle of Britain Ace Lists -Enjoy

Thanks,

as indicated, this list was arranged from Internet Ace Lists -will modify according to your data.

Thanks,

Rob Romero
Old 25th November 2007, 00:35
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

Have you seen Tony Woods claims listings or my amended version of same? Check out the links under the FAQ thread above. You're missing lots of guys. Also Erich Schmidt flew with JG 53 not JG 3.

And in general 'found on the net' does not infer any particular expertise on the part of anyone with a web site posting stuff like this. There's a lot more crap out there than truth. Anybody with the software can build a web site. That shouldn't replace real research. You stated before that you don't need books anymore, you have the net. Well, to some extent that may be true, but one has to be very discriminating to separate the real deal from the 'pop' trash. 'Garbage in, garbage out'.

Last edited by Jim P.; 25th November 2007 at 01:37. Reason: addition
Old 25th November 2007, 02:00

Ouch!!!
Old 26th November 2007, 05:43

Kapper is on a distinguished road

Rob,

The British officially recognise that the Battle of Britian was from 10 July to 31 October, However the Germans refer to the Battle closure to the onset of Winter at the end of 1940. Therefore, the German lists include November/ early December victories.

I think the mistake was putting the British dates to German lists, which seems to be a common mistake. However if you are doing a "comparison", as the saying goes "you need to compare apples with apples".

I also think the lists are generally outdated as more and more information becomes available, particularly on the German side over the last 10 years.

For example, just look at the earlier work of Gunther Prein and Chistopher Shore compared to their later works. Author's/Researchers who in my opinion have done a fantastic job and I believe their work was done to the best of their knowlege at the time. Where possible they have updated their works as information becomes available. You have to start somewhere. Therefore the lists should be adjusted with updated information.

Finally, I agree with Jim about the internet. It can be useful but you still need to check the source, whether it is from original documents, from an author or not listed at all. This is needed to determine a degree of confidence to the validity of the information. There is a lot of conflicting information out there.

Regards,

Craig...
Old 26th November 2007, 05:58

Smithy is on a distinguished road

I second Craig here. The German and British definitions of the length of the Battle are different. I can also see some inaccuracies on the RAF side of things.

Also one needs to keep in mind if you are going to try to use this as a comparative study (and you may not be) is the fact that criteria for claims were different between the RAF and the Luftwaffe.

However I congratulate you on the scope of what you are trying to achieve, not the easiest of undertakings.
Old 27th November 2007, 07:18

Kapper is on a distinguished road

Oops

My opologies for my error in my earlier post, I meant Jochen Prien not Gunther Prein.

What a brain explosion!!

Regards,

Craig...
Old 1st December 2007, 11:06

SpitfirePilot01 is on a distinguished road

I was surprised not to see Johannes Steinhoff on the list of German aces surely he must be in there somewher or did I miss it, he flew through from 1939 to 1945. Does anyone have any details here
Old 1st December 2007, 18:31

Steinhoff had 2 BoB Victories

Rob Romero