Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 3rd January 2006, 21:46

drgondog is on a distinguished road
Help on 355FG info

I am finishing up my revisions to Angels, Bulldogs and Dragons - History of 355th FG in World War II and would like some help tidying up a/c serial number/squadron codes for the following four pilots

1. Lt Robert White 357FS, KIA ditched in North Sea 26 November, 1944
2. Lt William Cummins 358FS, POW shot down by flak 3 February, 1945
3. Cpt. Wendell Beaty 358FS, KIFA 26 March 1945
4. Lt. Joseph Lake 357FS, KIA shot down by flak 16 April, 1945

Many thanks for any help and any lh side pic of WR-O 43-6457 Jane would be unbelievable..

Regards,
Bill Marshall
Old 3rd January 2006, 22:18

Fairlop
Re: Help on 355FG info

Hi Bill,

According to my info Lt. Robert M. White of the 354 Sqn was lost in P-51C 42-103795, WR-V on 23 February 1945 and was POW.

Regards,
Michal
Old 4th January 2006, 00:09

Andy Fletcher

Hi Bill & Michal

Lt Robert G. White 357FS/355FG KIA 20Nov44 (ditched-mech trouble), don't know the serial.

Regards

Andy Fletcher
Old 4th January 2006, 04:28
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hi,
'795 was named "Dutchess of Manhattan". Coded WR-V which was Ex WR-S "Papoose" of D. White.
There was also A. White who flew "Mary Lou" coded WR-I '396.
All this from Well's Steeple Morden Strafers.
Alex
Old 4th January 2006, 23:27

Thanks guys - Unfortunately I have that info.

Robert White from 357FS and the one I was looking for (a/c data) is different from Robert (Bob) White 354FS shot down in February 1945.

Incidently Bob White (354) had exactly one swing of his parachute before hitting the trees from the flak induced low bail out. He later became Vice Commander to Bud Anderson of 355TFW in VietNam flying F-105's and later X-15 Test Pilot before retiring from USAF and taking his Engineering Doctrate from Heidleburg.. Al White of WR-S 44-14228 later became chief test pilot for North American and headof B-70. He alone survived the mid air 'photo op' that destroyed the B-70 and the F-104... and still is key consultant to FAA crash investigations.

Last but not least Ken published the initial data for the 355th that I developed in 1982 to 1992 and it has more than a couple of inaccuracies. I did not include them in my book Angels, Bulldogs and Dragons for that reason.

My current list is the result of another 14 years of research and helped significantly by Peter Randall and Ted Damick via Randall. The current list has 540 entries, mostly complete that contains 1SF (Experimental) 2SF and 354, 357 and 358 P-47s and P-51's that were based at Steeple Morden and supported from 355FG. Also has MARC's and cross reference to sources which include many photos beyond my 1500+.

I also have developed an Honor Roll which details every 355/1SF(Exp) and 2SF ship and pilot lost in WWII, including cause (Mechanical, Weather, Flak, Air Combat)

Ray Shewfelt and I have labored 20+ years to improve 355FG visibility to be among the very best and most complete. About 3% are on armyairforces.com in the 355FG Photo Gallery.

If someone can tell me how to load for public view on this website I will make it (Spreadsheets) available for all to see.

Thank you all for your interest and willingness to assist.

Regards,

Bill Marshall
Old 18th January 2006, 21:45

shooshoobaby is on a distinguished road

Bill - the 390th BG Museum has all 8th AF Mission Reports on micro fiche.
These include fighter group activities and losses. I was a Researcher there
and seen many of these reports. You might be able to get some serial #s from them. www.390th.org
I will keep my eyes open for a picture of Jane. Was this your Dad's first
P - 51 ? Have seen many pictures and read about him. Hell of a pilot!
My Dad , John C. Howell , was in 357th FG , 364 Sq. C5-L " Shoo Shoo Baby ".
My E - mail mhowell590@aol.com
Cheers,
Mike
Old 19th January 2006, 20:33

Mike - thanks for the lead on the 390th - I will pursue re: mission reports.

Yes to dad's first. His first 51 was 43-6457 WR-O Jane. He had it for about 5 weeks and got his first 3 air kills in that Mustang in first two weeks of combat. I have several shots rh side - nose to cockpit but really looking for full lh side to get details for a scale model project for Fighter Aces Museum.

His next six ships were all 51D's WRB and all of those are on Peter Randall's Littlefriends.uk.co website. Jane VII was only one to survive war. The one he was in when shot down by flak (and rescued by Priest), however,was Lenfest's WRF Lorie IV.. interesting twist is that Lenfest was leading 354FS as Ops Officer in dad's WRB Jane III when he tried to rescue Henry Brown and stuck it in the mud.

I just donated 1200+ digitized photos to Peter, 8th AF Historical Society, USAF HRC at Maxwell. I have probably 10 for the Frantic VII Shttle Mission over Warsaw which may have a 390th ship somewhere.

Thanks Mike,

Bill
Old 19th January 2006, 21:07

Mike - I noticed your dad had 2 1/2 in the air in a pretty short time. Did he get any on the ground?

Was that near the end of his first tour with the 357th?

John Sublett and Chuck Yeager were two pretty close friends of dad's from the 357th.. It was one heck of a group

Bill
Old 21st January 2006, 03:28

shooshoobaby is on a distinguished road

Bill - Dad shot up some airfields but never claimed any destroyed. Got shot up pretty good attacking a Flak train. Picture of battle damage in Merle Olmsteds latest and last book " To War with the Yoxford Boys ".
Have your book and Steeple Morden Strafers , signed by Francis Eshelman. Got to know him in Tucson. Nice Guy! Also print of " My Catherine " signed by Stan Silva and 10 other pilots.
Last time I saw Chuck was at the 2000 Reunion in San Antonio. He , Bud Anderson and Art Vance , God rest his soul , had their P - 51s there.
Dad retired as Lt. Col. 30 years Senior Command Pilot. Been there , done that.
I Can't find MACRS for your 4 pilots - probably since they were recovered. But there should be Casualty reports with A/C serial #s ??
Cheers, Mike
Old 21st January 2006, 04:03

Mike - can I get Casualty reports from Maxwell/Lynn Gamma?

As to the delights of flak trains turn to page 75, photo 160, for the 'after' pic of Jane IV. The unsullied is on the cover of ABD. It had 200+ holes and 2 40mm blow outs - one of which went hrough the empty 85 gal fuselage tank before exploding. Priest was fling his wing on that one also. I think it was the third belly landing of the war but he was getting closer to home each time..

WR-B 44-14799 actually was repaired and went to 358FS as YF-H Susan B III..

You must be very proud of your dad.

Where were you 'stationed' as a brat growing up? I think my fondest recollections were Japan in 48-50, Eglin 50-54 and the Puzzle Palace from 55-58 when he was Deputy Chief ADC-Missles Division

Warm Regards,

Bill